SCE Software Deployment gets nowhere RRS feed

• Question

• Could someone help me on this one.

I have two package setup to be deploy.

One program with just a self contained msi.

The other with msi merged with mst and a compress cab installation in a folder.

SCE is on 2007 with sp1; client is Vista.

Very simply I create a package for each and approval to a group with 1 test PC on Vista.

I have wait for a day and in deployment status report all I get is NOT contact/ unknown.

then I stopped the wuauserv and bits services; delete the %windir% software distribution; restarted both services

and ran wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow and still no use.

I also use the SCE console and ran task such as Detect software and update now (both succeed and client is contactable); with collecting inventory and still no go.

At the end I decided to set an enddate but another pass and is still sitting on NOT contact/ unknown.

Just want to know how can I troubshoot this?

Both I've tried in an command prompt with /quiet switches and installed successfully locally.

Can SCE very deploy apps???

Monday, August 18, 2008 4:46 AM

Answers

• I found what the issue is.

The problem is due to when I approve the package the packages are downloaded to the client PC.

But with Vista we don't set elevated privilege and so product cannot be install.

If I don't select publish to add/ remove; how can I pass the credential to vista so package can be deploy?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

I think it's may because of the UAC in Windows Vista. You can try to disable it for a test.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:02 AM
  • It looks like it's working now after Disable the UAC.

Vista is a pain.

Anyway thx a lot for troubleshooting along with me :-)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi pochacco,

For your information, I would like to share my personal experience regarding the software package’s deployment with you.

After you approve a software package, the SCE Server will not transfer it to the target machine immediately. Actually, the target machine should detect the SCE Server at regular intervals, which is set at 22 hours by default.

For testing, open a command prompt and run “wuauclt /detectnow” on the target machine. It will detect the SCE Server at once and download the software if possible. After several minutes, the Automatic Update icon will appear in the System Tray. Click it to install the software.

After the installation finished, run “wuauclt /reportnow” on the target machine to report its status to the SCE Server. Then come back to the SCE Server, refresh the Deployment Status report for the software package. It should now show as Installed.

Note:  If you check the “Publish Package(s) to ‘Add/Remove Programs’” when you approve the software package for deployment, the Automatic Update icon will NOT appear on the target machine. You should explore to “Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs / Add New Programs”. The software package is listed under “Add Programs from your network”. Click ADD to install the software.

Hope it helps. If it doesn’t work, please help collect more information for further investigation:

1. Please let us know the exact steps how you configure the software packages (the more detailed steps you can provide, the better). We can try to follow the steps here to see if we can reproduce the problem.

2. Is this the first software deployment package? Does the issue occur with other software package on the same SCE server?

3. Please run “wuauclt /detectnow” on the target computer and wait for at least 10 minutes, and then copy the following two log files out:

1) On the SCE server:  %programfiles%\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log

2) On the target client computer:  %windir%\windowsupdate.log

Please post the content of the log files here. And let us know the software package’s command and name so that we can better analyze the log files.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:01 AM
  • I found what the issue is.

The problem is due to when I approve the package the packages are downloaded to the client PC.

But with Vista we don't set elevated privilege and so product cannot be install.

If I don't select publish to add/ remove; how can I pass the credential to vista so package can be deploy?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

On pre-Vista operating systems, updates that are published to Add/Remove Programs will only be seen by users who are local Administrators on the client computer. On Vista systems, the user will receive a User Account Control prompt when they select to install the update, and the user rights will NOT be elevated when the installation is run.

So if you want to user install the software which has been published to "add/remove programs" on Windows Vista, you need to make sure the user has the local administrator privilege to install it.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:55 AM
  • yes, I known that concept.

But what I am saying is if I DON'T published to "add/remove programs" and just approve the update to that group, no matter what I do (say set a deadline) the time past and program is not install @ all. I also know that it takes 22hours, but I waited for 3 days+ and still not install.

So I just want to know

If a program is approve for deploy, what account does SCE use to deploy the msi?

As in the approval process it doesn't even ask for an action account to be input...

Looks like after I approved the program it just sit with the client either DOWNLOADED status or some with UNKNOWN status forever.

Thx in adv

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

You need a domain administrator to deploy the software. And make sure it has the local administrator privilege.

Thanks.

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:20 AM
  • yes, the account is a Domain Admin account and when I check the local administrator properties of the client that account existed.

But is Vista have a different elevation and structure? I just tested on a Xp machine and it worked but not Vista.

However all our client is on Vista and not sure how to get it work.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

I think it's may because of the UAC in Windows Vista. You can try to disable it for a test.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:02 AM
  • It looks like it's working now after Disable the UAC.

Vista is a pain.

Anyway thx a lot for troubleshooting along with me :-)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:45 PM
  • I have deployed software packages before and worked beautiffuly. These are all Windows XP computers.

This time I was trying to deploy Office communicator which is a .msi to the same (previously working group) and this is what I got when checked the deployment ststus:

Deployment Status:

Installed = 0

Installation in Progress = 0

Installation failed = 0

Not Installed/Not applicable = 0

Not contacted/unknown = 0

ANY IDEAS?

Deep Kumar
    Friday, February 4, 2011 9:26 PM