WSUS version compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Could someone explain WSUS version compatibility? Specifically, if I have Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10, what is the oldest version of WSUS that can update these? I don't need to upgrade the OS, just install patches/hotfixes.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi notRoman,

In theory, among the three WSUS versions currently in use, Windows Server 2016/2019-based WSUS 10.0 is the best supported for Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10.

WSUS 6.3 based on Windows Server 2012 R2 can also serve Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10 clients normally, but you first need to complete the installation and debugging of some necessary updates, and the system names of these systems cannot be displayed correctly. The content in this thread is some of my test results.

WSUS 3.2 based on Windows Server 2008 R2 can only approve basic synchronization and security updates for Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10 clients, and the experience is not ideal. This product is also about to end its life cycle as a new deployment, which is the least recommended for you.

The list of products supported by WSUS is consistent, so there is no compatibility issue. WSUS 3.2 has limited support for Windows 10, so it is recommended that you choose the newer WSUS 10.0 as your WSUS server.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

i think it does not depend on the WSUS itself, furthermore on the updates you download and provide to your infrastructure.

In the last few years i have seen multiple WSUS-Infrastructure with OS 2012 R2 and 2016, also in an Upstream/Downstream constellation, which still had Windows Server 2003, etc.

So it should not depend on the WSUS, rather more on the updates you choose to provide from the list.

regards, pat

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi notRoman,

In theory, among the three WSUS versions currently in use, Windows Server 2016/2019-based WSUS 10.0 is the best supported for Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10.

WSUS 6.3 based on Windows Server 2012 R2 can also serve Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10 clients normally, but you first need to complete the installation and debugging of some necessary updates, and the system names of these systems cannot be displayed correctly. The content in this thread is some of my test results.

WSUS 3.2 based on Windows Server 2008 R2 can only approve basic synchronization and security updates for Windows Server 2016/2019 and Windows 10 clients, and the experience is not ideal. This product is also about to end its life cycle as a new deployment, which is the least recommended for you.

The list of products supported by WSUS is consistent, so there is no compatibility issue. WSUS 3.2 has limited support for Windows 10, so it is recommended that you choose the newer WSUS 10.0 as your WSUS server.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:27 AM