Computer freezing with event log error about iaStor0 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a Dell Latitude running Windows 7 x64 SP1. Recently it has started freezing for a couple of minutes and then it resumes normal operation. This happens at various times so there doesn't appear to be anything regular or consistent about it.

The only entry in the event logs that appears to be connected with the freezing is ID 9 "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

I had the user run a Pre-Boot System Assessment at the request of Dell Support and the results were no problems found. So Dell feels the problem is in software so isn't going to provide any help unless I can show hardware is at fault.

I've done some lookup on the error message but other than making sure the BIOS, firmware, and drivers are up to date, I haven't found anything helpful.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Jonathan

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi SmallBizAdmin,

Have you checked the task manager for any process or services occupying many system resources when the machine freezed?
    According to the error message,this issue seems to be related to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver.We can try to download the latest driver from the Intel official website to have a check.
    Here is a link for reference:
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht000786?tabName=Solutions

Though this issue is related to this driver,we cannot confirm the issue is caused by this driver.If the specific service or process didn`t repond to this driver within the timeout,we will get this message,too.
    To isolate a third party software issue,we can try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135/

To analyze the issue deeply,we can refer to the link as ZigZag posted to use the Windows performance toolkit to collect more information.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

You can't do anything while the system is frozen, that's what frozen means. So you can't run TM while the computer is frozen. I can ask the customer to run TM right after it happens to see if there is any large CPU or RAM user at that point though I would think it not helpful at that point.

All drivers and BIOS are up to date. I had to do that before Dell would talk to me.

One thing Dell did was to run msconfig and setup a clean boot by stopping all non-Microsoft items from starting up except for LogMeIn which is what we use to remotely connect. Since then it appears that the problem has not happened so I am leaning towards one of items now disabled is the cause. If that is the case then I'll have to re-enable the items one at a time and see if the computer freezes. That will take some time since the freezing was not something that happened multiple times a day.

Jonathan

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I wanted to leave an update. I believe we've found the culprit via the slow process of re-enabling startup processes one at a time in msconfig. It's so slow because we're having to wait for almost a day after each to be sure it's not going to freeze.

It appears there is an Adobe process which is causing the problem. All Adobe software installed seems to be working okay so I think we're just going to leave the problem child disabled.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:00 PM

All replies

• Jonathan

We need some sort of log info.  Can you upload event viewer logs?

If you have access to the machine and the problem is somewhat reproducible you could have them run a windows performance recorder trace (see below)

Since the preboot system tool cannot check within the windows environment I would also run a system file check to verify the state of the OS

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Hi SmallBizAdmin,

Have you checked the task manager for any process or services occupying many system resources when the machine freezed?
    According to the error message,this issue seems to be related to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver.We can try to download the latest driver from the Intel official website to have a check.

Though this issue is related to this driver,we cannot confirm the issue is caused by this driver.If the specific service or process didn`t repond to this driver within the timeout,we will get this message,too.
    To isolate a third party software issue,we can try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.

To analyze the issue deeply,we can refer to the link as ZigZag posted to use the Windows performance toolkit to collect more information.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:05 AM
  • Jonathan

We need some sort of log info.  Can you upload event viewer logs?

If you have access to the machine and the problem is somewhat reproducible you could have them run a windows performance recorder trace (see below)

Since the preboot system tool cannot check within the windows environment I would also run a system file check to verify the state of the OS

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

The event logs are pretty big so I don't think I can upload them. I did run sfc /scannow which said it found corrupted files but was not able to fix all of them and to review the CBS.log file. That file was pretty big so I renamed it and re-ran sfc /scannow. The is CBS.log file is fairly small. How do you want me to post it?

As for the Windows Performance Toolkit, I have it installed on the PC. You said to run the trace when the problem happens. That can't be done because the problem is that the computer freezes so you can't do anything. The trace could be started after the computer starts responding again but I don't know that it would do any good at that point.

Jonathan

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hi SmallBizAdmin,

Best regards

You can't do anything while the system is frozen, that's what frozen means. So you can't run TM while the computer is frozen. I can ask the customer to run TM right after it happens to see if there is any large CPU or RAM user at that point though I would think it not helpful at that point.

All drivers and BIOS are up to date. I had to do that before Dell would talk to me.

One thing Dell did was to run msconfig and setup a clean boot by stopping all non-Microsoft items from starting up except for LogMeIn which is what we use to remotely connect. Since then it appears that the problem has not happened so I am leaning towards one of items now disabled is the cause. If that is the case then I'll have to re-enable the items one at a time and see if the computer freezes. That will take some time since the freezing was not something that happened multiple times a day.

Jonathan

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I wanted to leave an update. I believe we've found the culprit via the slow process of re-enabling startup processes one at a time in msconfig. It's so slow because we're having to wait for almost a day after each to be sure it's not going to freeze.

It appears there is an Adobe process which is causing the problem. All Adobe software installed seems to be working okay so I think we're just going to leave the problem child disabled.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:00 PM