Windows 7 Ultimate vs NVIDIA GeForce 9100 bad Graphics and Video RRS feed

• Question

• Windows vs NVIDIA Display

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my Pavilion a6720f desktop.  When done I noticed colors were unusually vibrant and hard on the eye.  Videos played like old, bad resolution (blurry and pixilated).  Under vista photos and videos played beautifully.

I upgraded the driver from NVIDIA (GeForce 9100) and no fix!

I restored my computer to the Original VISTA using recovery disks and then installed Windows 7 as an upgrade.  After that the graphics, photos and videos were prefect as before.

After about an hour I started getting the 'BLUE SCREEN' shutdown. See details below... The Solve PC issues notice told me it was a problem with my NIVIDIA driver.  The Solve issues program was unable to download the driver so I did so manually.  After installing the Win7 NVDIA driver (8.15.11.8640, 7-19-2009) my computer reverted back to the undesirable graphics and video rendering.  I went into the NVIDIA Control Panel and attempted adjusting the setting.  Unfortunately still no change.

I'm unable to find technical info pertaining to my problem and am growing frustrated.  I don't want to go back to using VISTA especially after getting the new OS, Windows 7 Ultimate.  PLEASE HELP!

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               116

BCP1:                                                    FFFFFA8005F3C4E0

BCP2:                                                    FFFFF88004756140

BCP3:                                                    0000000000000000

BCP4:                                                    0000000000000002

OS Version:                                          6_1_7600

Service Pack:                                       0_0

Product:                                               256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\123009-20248-01.dmp

C:\Users\Chaney\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47923-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

_______________________________________________________________________________________

SHUTDOWN UNEXPECTEDLY

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:                      BlueScreen

OS Version:                                        6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                           1033

Extra information about the problem

BCCode:                                             116

BCP1:  FFFFFA80084AA010

BCP2:  FFFFF88004769140

BCP3:  0000000000000000

BCP4:  0000000000000002

OS Version:                                        6_1_7600

Service Pack:                                     0_0

Product:                                             256_1

Bucket ID:                                          X64_0x116_TdrBCR:2_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Server information:               ca72dd9d-ff7b-4131-9326-c18f7687dfee

Error Message

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Vegan Fanatic

I just tried installing the original Vista NVIDIA drivers trying to use 'run as compatible with VISTA' but Win7 rejected the install...  Dang it!

I hate to throw $$ at this but I might end up trying a different video card....???  OR (listning Microsoft..!)  ...Returning to VISTA)

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced card (PCI enhanced) that might work? 

Thanks for the response...!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:12 AM
  • CamasWA - Please make sure you're using the latest Nvidia video drivers, and try the hotfix mentioned in this thread and see if it resolves the crash: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/38f25c1d-de67-4c74-8845-2cd3a15d8e41

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    • Marked as answer by CamasWA Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:53 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:11 AM
  • THANKS MARK!

It appears this hotfix not only repaired my BSOD but cleaned up my video and graphics issues.  Not sure if it was intended to do so but it appears my issues were resolved across the board! 

I've been on the computer for about 7 hours witoug a blue screen and my videos are running clear as they were using VISTA.

I have been working with HP Support on the same issue.  I'll share this with them.

I've read others are having the same problem with upgrading.  Hope this remedy 'hangs on' and helps others.

• Marked as answer by CamasWA Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 4, 2010 7:43 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:51 PM
  • It appears this hotfix not only repaired my BSOD but cleaned up my video and graphics issues.  Not sure if it was intended to do so but it appears my issues were resolved across the board! 

Thanks for the update, and sorry for causing you so much pain on Windows 7.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Do not worry, a few votes would be nice.

I am waiting to see if NVIDIA finds my site and sees the pics.

the 8600 GT was made in 2007, this is still 2009. Talk about a short life expectancy.

A few votes for what?  You coming into yet another Nvidia thread and talking about the problems you are having with your Nvidia card (which appear to be unrelated to the problem discussed in this thread)?  I don't see how that's helping people.  Any chance you could please try to limit that just to the one or two threads you've started for discussion on your issue?

Hardware goes bad.  It happens sometimes.  Some video card manufacturers offer lifetime guarantees.  Hopefully that's true in the case of your card.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:51 PM
  • I'm so dissapointed....  The poor video quality and graphics quality has regressed back to the problem state.  It appears the BSOD issue has been fixed though.  The videos that are the worst are Adobe Flash like movie trailers etc....  I did a print screen to show how bad they are.  They look like the original video clips of years passt.....low grade hard to distinguish features.

Not sure what to do next???  I tried restoring computer back a couple days to when it worked and still remains poor......

I've spent so much time reinstalling my software and data I'm just considering dumping Win 7 and going back to VISTA (ugh!)  I loved WIndows 7 when it worked well.

MSFT guys any new suggestions! 
    Desparate for some idea before going back to VISTA
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:02 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/694a4f48-d3dc-45ef-85e0-636ee048fa3f

Per that thread, you've noticed that the video quality is only poor on one page.

I'd suggest that you try posting your question over in the IE forum to see if someone can offer a suggestion:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads

Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Posted to Internet Explorer "Pictures and Video"

Thanks Mark
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Mark,

Maybe you can help me.  I tried the hotfix above.  It said it was already loaded.  My problem seems to be with the NVIDIA GeForce 9100 video card in my HP Pavillion a6720y.  I bought it with Vista and upgraded to Windows 7 about 6 months ago.  This problem just started about a week ago.  When I try to start up, the monitor has trouble finding a signal and just goes black.  I have to shutdown (by pushing and holding the power button) and try it again.  Eventually it finds the signal, but the problem seems to be getting worse and worse.  I tried updating the driver for the NVIDIA card, but the windows 7 driver doesn't work either.  Any Suggestions on what I should do now.  I am using the computer right now, so once it comes up it's fine.  Thanks for your help and to anyone else who can contribute.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:59 PM