none
MDT 2013 – Upgrading from Server 2012 to Sys Center Configuration Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I volunteer at a community center that offers workstations for free public computing. The center has

• A single server (running Server 2012 R2) and
    • 20 workstations (running a mix of Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1)

I currently have MDT 2013 (v 6.2.5019.0 – not MDT 2013 Upgrade 1) installed on the Server. I have  MDT and WDS configured to support workstation PXE boot and LTI OS deployment.

We’re upgrading to System Center Configuration Manager in a few weeks. I have a couple questions to assure the SCCM upgrade and MDT integration goes smoothly

1.  All the documentation I found so far about MDT 2013 integration with SCCM describe environments where SCCM is installed first and then MDT is installed onto SCCM. In my case, we already have MDT installed. We’re upgrading Server 2012 R2 to SCCM.
      •  I don’t want to assume anything. So am asking to be sure: Will the upgrade be straight forward if I upgrade to SCCM with MDT 2013 already installed?? Or would i be better to uninstall MDT 2013 first, then upgrade to SCCM and then reinstall MDT? 
      • Any special instruction or things to watch out for when upgrading to SCCM when MDT 2013 already installed?
    2.        I’ve found config/setup guides to follow when I want to start supporting ZTI
      • But what if I want to leave it LTI for a while?? Does the SCCM upgrade required some change to what I currently have configed for workstation PXE boots using WDS and LTI deployment?
      • When I start working on ZTI, will LTI continue to work? Or will it be all one or the other?
    Sunday, January 3, 2016 3:17 AM

Answers

• MDT can be on the same server as Configmgr without being integrated.

Even if you integrate MDT you don't lose your existing deployment share.

Short answer is you should be fine.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Sunday, January 3, 2016 3:41 AM