Update Folder removes folder from folder list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can any one help.  I'm using Outlook 2016.

I have access to a shared mailbox, which has lots of folders.
    If for instance i add an email to one of a folders named ABC, and then go to the Send/Receive tab and click on "Update Folder" (so that other colleagues are updated) the ABC folder then disappear from the Folder list in the left hand pane.
    The only way to able to view the folder again is to restart Outlook. 

Any ideas gratefully received.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please confirm if the ABC folder disappeared from your Outlook or the issue can be reproduced in other colleagues. If only one user encounter the issue, I suggest we can try the following steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Start Outlook 2016 in safe mode: Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Outlook /safe, press Enter. Update folder and confirm if the issue can be reproduced.
    2. Use the /resetfolders switch in Outlook: Type Outlook /resetfolders in Run to start Outlook. Try to reproduce the issue.
    3. Use the /resetnavpane switch to clear and regenerate the Navigation Pane for the current profile.
    4. Create a new Outlook profile to have a try: Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this problematic account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Use this new profile and confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Any news in your side, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Many thanks for your advice.
    Actually found that the folder wasn't removed from the list, just that it had been moved to the end of the folder list - no longer in alphabetical order.  Have to go to the root and do right click to sort subfolders a-z.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Many thanks for your advice.
    Actually found that the folder wasn't removed from the list, just that it had been moved to the end of the folder list - no longer in alphabetical order.  Have to go to the root and do right click to sort subfolders a-z.

Hi,

Glad that the folder is not missing.

Generally, if you want to sort the subfolders to list in alphabetical order, we can select the folder or root mailbox, go to Folder tab, in the Clean Up group, select Show All Folder A to Z.

You can also drag and drop Outlook folder to move the folder position in folder list manually.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:16 AM