none
Driver selection during deployment when multiple versions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Trying to figure out the ins and outs of MDT to grasp as much as possible, and I've ran into a question I can't quite figure out.

When importing Out-of-Box Drivers into MDT 2013, it sometimes happens that there are more than one version for the exact same driver. 

How does MDT handle this during deployment ? Does it install both, only the latest, etc ? And how does it handle having both X86 and X64 drivers separately ? Will it install the right version depending on the OS's information ?

During deployment, my TS sets the DriverGroup001 variable to "Windows 10 x64\%Make%\%Model%", so it only picks the right drivers for the right make & model of the computer. 

I make sure to keep my drivers as updated as possible, and I just want to make sure that having more than one version of the same driver does not cause problems during deployment (aka, the older driver might get installed instead of the new one, or none at all, etc.).

Thanks in advance :)

Monday, May 9, 2016 4:32 PM

Answers

• My understanding is that, using the "Total Control" method you appear to be using, MDT will inject ALL drivers for that model and OS type (x86, or x64) into the system during the build process.  The OS install Plug n Play will then install the latest version of the driver for each found device.
    • Proposed as answer by David Bloomer Monday, May 9, 2016 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by AlexPilon Monday, May 9, 2016 7:22 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 5:29 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that, using the "Total Control" method you appear to be using, MDT will inject ALL drivers for that model and OS type (x86, or x64) into the system during the build process.  The OS install Plug n Play will then install the latest version of the driver for each found device.
    • Proposed as answer by David Bloomer Monday, May 9, 2016 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by AlexPilon Monday, May 9, 2016 7:22 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 5:29 PM
  • That seems about right, and is exactly the info I wanted to know.

I thought MDT was intelligent enough to handle the OS type (x86/x64) by itself as well as the versioning of the updates, but I just wanted to make sure. 

Thanks! :)

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:23 PM