can i repair a broken os disc? RRS feed

• Question

• i found my xp os disc and it was in 2 piece,is it fixable.i dont think it is thought i would ask anyway.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Probably not.  You will likely need to obtain a replacement.  Many software vendors will allow you to order replacement recovery disks for a small fee, although it can be tricky to find the links on the vendor's web site.  Keep in mind a replacement disk will not include a license key, so you would need to use the key that shipped with your original media if you are able to obtain replacement media.

It may also be possible to use the original Microsoft media from another system, provided it is the exact same version of Windows.  You won't be able to restore the factory image, but this should allow you to install the operating system and then you can download drivers that are missing and in some cases software that is misisng from the vendor's support site for your system.

Dave Wright Archer Daniels Midland Company
    • Proposed as answer by David L. Wright Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Just try to get someone else copy and use your own CD key to finish the installation.

Otherwise try something like eBay! (official CD/DVD's for sale there)

My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Twitter: @HenkHoogendoorn | Profile: LinkedIn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:29 PM