Windows Vista - BCCode 116 BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have computer that gives me this error. BCCode 116 BSOD. Using two monitor to extend my workspace.

DELL Vista 32bit

thanks,Anthony

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• Anthony

These were related to your atikmdag.sys (video driver)/  Yours is from 2008.  I would start by re-installing the newest driver available.

The error code (BCC116) is as I posted above.  It can be related to the driver, heat, power, the video card itself, etc

I would download CPU-Z, and GPU-Z, to keep an eye on the temps.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:01 PM

All replies

• We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  
    The procedure:
    * Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy (compress them)
    *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    * Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.
    Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Blue Screen View & Who Crashed are often wrong and should only be used in an emergency...

You can read more about BSODS here

Team Zigzag3143.com

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the Blue Screen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.
    If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.
     Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.
     Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Hi Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag,

here is the link https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=364CAE2DAB297E8C!109

thanks,anthony

• Edited by iAmYnoht Monday, August 12, 2013 9:30 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Anthony

These were related to your atikmdag.sys (video driver)/  Yours is from 2008.  I would start by re-installing the newest driver available.

The error code (BCC116) is as I posted above.  It can be related to the driver, heat, power, the video card itself, etc

I would download CPU-Z, and GPU-Z, to keep an eye on the temps.

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:01 PM
  • just an update, I cleaned the cpu itself (physically).

did the video software driver update and will see if the problem still occurs..i will let you know..thanks anthony

• Edited by iAmYnoht Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:34 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Anthony

Good Luck and thanks for letting us know.  Let us know if you need further help.

• Marked as answer by iAmYnoht Monday, August 19, 2013 2:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by iAmYnoht Monday, August 19, 2013 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:49 PM
  • so far, no issue had been encountered since update...thanks Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:11 PM