locked
Vista, WMP, CPU Change and Flash Drive RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    After I changed my CPU, WMP would crash about 3 seconds after launch.  A window came up and said WMP stopped working.  The error is:

     

    Problem Event Name:             APPCRASH

    Application Name:                  wmplayer.exe

    Application Version:               11.0.6001.7000

    Application Timestamp:          47919356

    Fault Module Name:               Indiv01.key

    Fault Module Version:             11.0.6000.7000

    Fault Module Timestamp:        46ddf6bf

    Exception Code:                    c0000005

    Exception Offset:                   000b57ef

    OS Version:                           6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

    Locale ID:                              1033

    Additional Information 1:         fd00

    Additional Information 2:         ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

    Additional Information 3:         fd00

    Additional Information 4:         ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

     

    The fault condition was caused by a flash drive, which up to the CPU changed, had no ill-effect with WPM.  If I removed the flash drive, WPM worked fine.

     

    After reading a few blogs, I located the Indiv01.key file:

    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\Cache

     

    I made the file, Indiv01.key, unreadable.  WMP no longer crashes.  I cannot tell you the effect this has on other features. Everything else works appears to work fine. DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It appears this is a bug in Vista that has to do with not recognizing certain types of hardware or hardware changes.

    Friday, August 8, 2008 1:35 AM

All replies

  • I cannot believe MS hasn't put out a fix for this yet, ridiculous.  I'm going to give the above a ahot and hope it doesn't mess anything up and also fixes my media sharing. 

     

    Thanks for the post JoelDN!

    Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:51 PM
  •  

    Hi Omniscient-OPs,

    Another Microsoft Tech replied to me and said I should delete the DRM folder from the following location. He said the folder contents had gotten corrupted.  You could probably rename the folder and see what happens.  I deleted the folder and my pc is fine.  The folder was rebuilt as he said it would be. He did not say how this would affect current licensing.  I do not have licensed items from Microsoft.

     

    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM

    Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:12 AM