Deleting files -> BSOD with "Bad Pool Header" RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes when I remove a bigger application and try to delete the program folder, or when I try to delete a folder created on the desktop then Vista shows BSOD with "Bad Pool Header".

I have no idea where this originates, only the fact that the files to be deleted are large (+100MB). It has Intel Turbo Memory installed and a 1GB flash memory card installed (next to the 2GB main memory).

My system is a Dell Vostro 1500, Bios A05, Vista-Biz-SP1, SATA drive. All updates installed and recently did a complete defrag and chksdk with /r /f /b options after I had a BSOD when deleting files.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? It's totally annoying.

ex-ms
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Same problem for me.
    Dell XPS410  Vista-Biz 2gig of ram
    any help would be great

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:42 AM
  • I am also having the same BSOD issues as above.  Blue Screen of death Bad Pool Header.  New Gateway system. AMD Phenom 9600 quad core, 3gig ram,  Vista Home Premium  (Gateway FX 7020).  I'm trying to delete the C:/programfiles/microsoftgames/GearsofWar folder. I'm trying to delete the game Gears of War, it's 10gigs,  everytime I try to delete it, the little window comes up counting how many files and how much space etc.. and then I get a BSOD. I can't get rid of the folder. 

I am also getting a BSOD when I try to remove drivers for a Kodak All in One ESP3 printer.  I can not remove this either.  I am so frustrated. This is ridiculous. I've spent a few hours for the past 5 days trying to resolve these matters with no luck. 

Can some one please help!

This will be my second format/fresh install vista os in a week and a half.  Was duped into some malware I suspect when I installed a logger, lost my internet connection and lost control of my network settings window, along with a very sluggish system all the suddan on certain things. formated HD, re-installed Vista Home Premium OS, started adding back my applications, windows updates, games, etc..and now all the suddan BSOD's consistently.  I semi-suspect the kodak software/drivers, this is a new printer recently added. I've tried using Revo-Uninstaller to wipe stuff out but still issues arise.

Any Suggestions?   Thank you!!!!!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:56 PM
  •  NiccoDemure wrote:
    Same problem for me.
    Dell XPS410  Vista-Biz 2gig of ram
    any help would be great

Why can't we get any help here?   I am having the same issue.   Helllloooo??
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:56 AM
  • I see that you have already run chkdsk. That is one thing I would have liked to suggest. Dont know how much this info from my BSOD Guide will help you, but I hope it atleast gives you a direction to work:

STOP 0x000000C2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER
    A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to perform an illegal memory allocation. The problem can often be traced to a bug in a driver or software. It is also occasionally caused by a failure in a hardware device. For more information, see KB265879.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  HappyAndyK wrote:

I see that you have already run chkdsk. That is one thing I would have liked to suggest. Dont know how much this info from my BSOD Guide will help you, but I hope it atleast gives you a direction to work:

STOP 0x000000C2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER
    A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to perform an illegal memory allocation. The problem can often be traced to a bug in a driver or software. It is also occasionally caused by a failure in a hardware device. For more information, see KB265879.

Thanks for posting the links, I read through them.

But they show solutions for "Bad Pool Caller" which is (afaik) not the same as "Bad Pool Header". I have Intel Turbo Memory and Intel Matrix Storage Manager and I suspect it is related to that. Will check for HDD firmware too.

Any other ideas?
    • Proposed as answer by Spennis Friday, March 9, 2012 7:31 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2008 9:38 AM
  • UPDATE: I finally fixed this .

The cause was a driver called MPRIFL.SYS which belongs to an application called My Lockbox. This application creates/protects certain directories on your drive.

However, the system driver it uses to manage these areas seems faulty and results in all sorts of problems. I uninstalled the applicaton and voilá without a problem I was able to delete the folders that created a "Bad Pool Header" earlier on.

Learnings: When you have this issue, check for apps that install some driver to manage something specific related to your HDD.

Cheers!

ex-ms
    Monday, May 26, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Had the very same problem. Also have (had) "My Lockbox" on Vista 64. Just deleted it and emptied trash ok. It was crashing when moving large files or folders or deleting the trash. Hopefully this fixes it. Thanks!!!

[edit a week later] No more problems since I removed My Lockbox. Notified the publisher of the problem but never heard back from them.

Jerry

• Proposed as answer by Blind_Messiah Monday, September 14, 2009 9:20 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I had the same program on my computer, (Vista Home Premium Gateway FX 32-Bit) and i tried uninstalling mylockbox and it seemed to help. I also found that deleting the files one by one instead of all at once would result in no problems. Iobit.com has a free program called security360 that has a great unlock and delete function that i would use to get rid of pesky files that would not allow themselves to be deleted normally.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Same issue here. BSOD issue resolved by uninstalling My Lockbox.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 7:32 PM