Building block and styles RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am trying to develop a Word Template (in Word 2010) which has a body of text, and a wide left margin to add headlines to. The headlines are positioned using anchors and are basically text boxes with a Rich Text content control inside. I am trying to create a building block for the headline.

When I try to create a building block with any styles applied to the text box and content control, the styles are not saved and thus not automatically applied when the building block is added to a page. I have seen this work before but cannot get it to work for my template.

Hope this makes sense! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Bhavik

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is for developers discussing developing issues involve Word applicaiton, since the issue is more relative to end-user, I would like to move it to Word IT Pro Discussions forum to get more effective response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

I've never had trouble with styles being saved with a building block (AutoText) of a Text Box. The styles were applied to the text in the text box, not to the text box itself. Have not tried with Content Controls as well. I believe the Rich Text Content Control, though, allows you to mandate applying a style to the contents as a part of its properties. That may be needed.

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

Word Content Controls

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Charles,

I have tried applying styles to the text, the textbox, setting the style properties in the content control too and to no avail.. I was playing around with it today and found that there were a few styles this worked for. Mainly the out of the box styles in the Word 2010 style set. For example, 'emphasis' was one it worked for.

I tried to copy the 'emphasis' style and apply it to see if it was just failing for custom styles and it didn't work. I am beginning to think it is something to do with custom styles. I have not customised the documents in any way that should cause this...

Does this narrow down it down at all? I am starting to run out of ideas... spent 2 days on this already :(

Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Just thoughts.

Are the styles you want to apply in your document already before you use the building block?

The simplest way to have a set of styles for use is to put them into a template.

Templates in Microsoft Word

Base your new documents on templates that already contain the styles you want.

Note, I have imported styles through building blocks in the past, but not in the way you are attempting.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Hi Bhavik,

I don't understand why Fei Xue move your question here because the IT Pro forum is also the incorrect forum for this type of question. Your question is product use related and it should be posted here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

You will be able to get more timely and qualified help if you post your question there.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Monday, December 8, 2014 12:28 AM
  • The emphasis style is a built-in character style that gives Italics in most themes.

Understanding Styles in Microsoft Word

Friday, December 19, 2014 3:58 PM