none
Save and Share and define corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• We ended up with a corrupted project plan due to the user copying rows from one schedule and pasting the rows into another schedule. The save jobs for this plan went for 4 minutes to 55 minutes. That is an indication of corruption to me.

When we were on Project Server 2007, I use to use the export to xml and import to mpp to fix corrupted files and no data loss. apparently that approach loses data when on Project Server 2010. Therefore I attempted the Save and Share approach that was suggested. After taking this approach, the first save job upon opening the file takes 40 minutes, changes and saves after that first initial save are between 4 to 6 minutes. If we close and checkin the schedule and open it again, the first save job takes 40 minutes, any saves after that take between 4 to 6 minutes.

Since Save and Share is new for 2010, I have no clue what it is doing. Can anyone explain what that does?

Any one have any idea why the first save after opening the file takes 40 minutes and the other saves during that session are 4-6 minutes?

I am being asked, what does Corrupt mean? Then I am asked, why does copying rows from one schedule and pasting into another schedule dorrupt the project schedule? My answer at the moment is "Ask Microsoft"  Anyone have good answers to these question?

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:05 PM

Answers

• LyndaF,

Data corruption is a broader term in Project world. I will try to share what I think, other Project Gurus make have different opinion , When things are not looking as expected and there is something which we cant explain "why we are getting certain result if we follow specific steps, where as same steps works with different project plan" often termed as corrupt project plan.  Since project allows you to copy paste in Project pro certainly its feature but has to be used with  extra care. As per the best practices copying and pasting information from one plan to another plan is not recommended since when you copy a task it actually copies additional information associated with the same task, (copying in Project is not same as excel or notepad) and when you paste this information in to another project plan it's going to appended the targeted project plan with this extra information, which confuses project scheduling engine , Sometimes this data may contain whitespace. Which leads to the corruption or in other words unexpected result.

Save for Sharing feature was not intended to fix the corruption. When you do this, a Project .mpp file is created that you can send to team members as an e-mail attachment or to a file server. Use this method to share a file (rather than working on a project offline) when you want multiple people to work on the same file. When you receive the file back from them, you can synchronize the changes with Project Server.

Over the  period of time, we identified that when we perform save for sharing with corrupt or bad project plan on the sever, especially if project data is not synchronized with reporting databases or you get conflict error from reporting database , Project plan goes through the cycle of data refresh sort of  RDB refresh but specific to the project plan, where it will synchronize the data between Draft, Published and Reporting database. Hence it takes longer for the first time  depending on number of tasks, assignment duration etc.

Hope this helps

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:53 PM

All replies

• LyndaF,

Data corruption is a broader term in Project world. I will try to share what I think, other Project Gurus make have different opinion , When things are not looking as expected and there is something which we cant explain "why we are getting certain result if we follow specific steps, where as same steps works with different project plan" often termed as corrupt project plan.  Since project allows you to copy paste in Project pro certainly its feature but has to be used with  extra care. As per the best practices copying and pasting information from one plan to another plan is not recommended since when you copy a task it actually copies additional information associated with the same task, (copying in Project is not same as excel or notepad) and when you paste this information in to another project plan it's going to appended the targeted project plan with this extra information, which confuses project scheduling engine , Sometimes this data may contain whitespace. Which leads to the corruption or in other words unexpected result.

Save for Sharing feature was not intended to fix the corruption. When you do this, a Project .mpp file is created that you can send to team members as an e-mail attachment or to a file server. Use this method to share a file (rather than working on a project offline) when you want multiple people to work on the same file. When you receive the file back from them, you can synchronize the changes with Project Server.

Over the  period of time, we identified that when we perform save for sharing with corrupt or bad project plan on the sever, especially if project data is not synchronized with reporting databases or you get conflict error from reporting database , Project plan goes through the cycle of data refresh sort of  RDB refresh but specific to the project plan, where it will synchronize the data between Draft, Published and Reporting database. Hence it takes longer for the first time  depending on number of tasks, assignment duration etc.

Hope this helps

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:53 PM
  • As a general rule, I tell clients never COPY and PASTE within project schedule.  There are to many hidden fields and unique ID that users are unaware.    There are ways to COPY and PASTE that's ok, but the problem is a general user or project manager cannot keep up with them and it's the habbit of COPYING and PASTING that needs to be broken.

And to take this one step furthe, random issues can occur when COPY and PASTING into SharePoint  PDP and project schedule.  There are a lot of unprintable characters that sometimes get capture during a COPY/PASTE. It may work 99% of the time, but it's that 1% that makes your life miserable.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:40 PM
  • I am dealing with "end user" mentality is what I call it. I shared your response with the Manager of the person that copied and pasted rows. He then asked, "what if we need to copy a section of a schedule and paste that section in another area of the same schedule because the work is almost identical?" I feel that the answer is the same because of all of the relational code that project attaches to the tasks, assignments and resources.

I want to tell them to copy the section, paste it into excel, copy it from excel and paste it to the new section of the schedule. What do you think about that approach? I prefer that they type the new section manually. It is not a matter of laziness, it is a mater of work load and need to get things done as quick as possible

I wish I knew that they were going to take the approach they did and would have thrown my stern NO at them and explained why. It is difficult to get the end user to understand.

The synchronizing portion of your answer makes perfect sense as to why the first save is always 40 minutes! Thank you! that was driving me nuts.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Pasting into the PDPs caught my attention! What if the data that is being copied from an Access Database and pasted into the PDP fields?
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:21 AM
  • LyndaF,

My apologies foe delayed response,

"what if we need to copy a section of a schedule and paste that section in another area of the same schedule because the work is almost identical?"

Yes, answer is still remain the same

I want to tell them to copy the section, paste it into excel, copy it from excel and paste it to the new section of the schedule. What do you think about that approach?

Well its depends on what information you are trying to copy, most of the time copying particular row from the specific  column like  specific task name won't cause any issue but if you copy entire row leads to copying of hidden data.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:58 AM