KB3159706 + Post Task + SSL = wsutil usecustomwebsite false = FATAL ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• As title states, uninstalled the KB this morning since it was still broken. Installed KB once more then restarted and followed the post task. Then restarted once completed and I even put the Trusted Installer service back as owner on the web.config file. Now when running the wsusutil checkhealth it is looking towards port 8530. Tried running the command to point it back over. Recieve a nice FATAL Error.

When executing wsusutil.exe usecustomwebsite false, I receive Fatal Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

DoD security team is harping on getting this months patches out so please hurry. Below is event ID 12072 from Windows Server Update Services.

The WSUS content directory is not accessible.
    System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8530
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

Thank You

• Edited by trstevens Friday, May 13, 2016 3:02 PM forgot
    Friday, May 13, 2016 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the IIS on the WSUS server. If the binding of WSUS in the IIS has been changed to the TCP port 80, please try to connect to the WSUS with port 80.

If it doesn't work, please try to run the command below to revert the change :

wsusutil.exe usecustomwebsite true

>>The WSUS content directory is not accessible.

Please check if the WSUS content has the suitable permission configured.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 10:16 AM
  • I was able to fix it by manually going into the web.config file and removing the :853X. I only found one config file which contained :853. Not sure what happened to cause the fatal error trying to run wsusutil usecustomwebsite false but servers are now patching.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 12:22 PM