Word 2010 Statup Location Slow to open Word RRS feed

• Question

• We have changed the default startup location in Word 2010 to a network share.

However whenever Word is opened up in the Word splash screen it says downloading the name of each file that is in the startup location and will repeat this 3 or 4 times delaying open of Word by about 15 to 20 seconds each time it is opened up.  Does anyone have any ideas how we can stop it from doing this every time it opens up.

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi James,

My suggestion is to move these templates from the Startup folder to the Workgroup templates folder.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Friday, March 9, 2012 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:04 AM
  • ehmmm...

That's why we call it the Startup folder, isn't it?

When you say it won't work, is that means the macros are not allowed to be running in the templates folder? If so, please make sure the templates folder has been add to the trusted locations. (File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center settings ... > Trusted Locations)

Plan Trusted Locations settings for Office 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179039.aspx?ppud=4

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 6, 2012 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

My suggestion is to move these templates from the Startup folder to the Workgroup templates folder.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Friday, February 3, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Thanks got getting back to me, I dont think this can work as the macros have an autoexec method and this will not work if they are in the tempates folder

I dont understand why word is trying to download them in the first place.

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:25 AM
  • ehmmm...

That's why we call it the Startup folder, isn't it?

When you say it won't work, is that means the macros are not allowed to be running in the templates folder? If so, please make sure the templates folder has been add to the trusted locations. (File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center settings ... > Trusted Locations)

Plan Trusted Locations settings for Office 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179039.aspx?ppud=4

Max Meng

Monday, February 6, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Hi James?

Max Meng

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days. If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Max Meng

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:48 AM