Errors when trying to install roles on 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new VM running Server 2012 R2 on a Hyper-V 2012 R2 host. The host is a Dell server that was pre-installed and contained a prebuilt VHD to use for setting up VMs. I've joined the VM to the existing domain and am now trying to install roles. But I keep getting errors.

The first error had a code of 0x80073701. Looking that up led me to look in the CBS.log file and it was suggested that it had something to do with language pack files missing. Sure enough that error code in the log was with messages concerning the French language pack. I don't know why as I did not ask for anything other than English when setting up this VM from the prebuilt VHD provided by Dell.

I went to the Language section of the CP and installed the French language pack. That took care of that error but now when trying to add roles I'm getting error 0x800f081f. Most of the hits I've googled talk about getting this when installing .NET but I'm not trying to do that, just install roles that don't involve installing .NET as far as I know, at least I didn't get any message about it.

I've found this new error several times in the CBS.log but I have no idea how to interpret what is there or what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan

Friday, April 10, 2015 10:30 PM

Answers

• Looks like the missing component is part of this package.

Microsoft-Windows-ServerCore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384

You can try sfc /scannow If that doesn't help you may need to do a repair install. This one is for Server 2008 but steps are the same.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

I already tried sfc /scannow and it didn't find anything. If this latest CBS.log posting doesn't lead to a fix, then I'm just going to get a 2012 R2 ISO and create a new VM rather than trying to use the pre-built VHDX file Dell included.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:06 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Microsoft-Windows-ServerCore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384 [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

I'd agree the best solution is to build a new VM from scratch and move the roles over.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by FaustoNascimento Friday, April 24, 2015 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mandy Ye Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:47 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 4:57 PM

All replies

• I'd try from cmd.exe session

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, April 11, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

What roles are you installing?

Greetings
    Nino

...esistono i motori di ricerca, facci un salto e troverai molte delle risposte che ti darò io.

Saturday, April 11, 2015 4:03 PM
  • I'd try from cmd.exe session

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Excellent idea. Sorry that I forgot that I first ran sfc /scannow which found no errors, then I ran the DISM command and it said it found corruption which it fixed. Tried the role install again, same error. Ran the DISM command a second time and again it said it found corruption which it fixed. Ran the role install again, same error.

Jonathan

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

What roles are you installing?

Greetings
    Nino

...esistono i motori di ricerca, facci un salto e troverai molte delle risposte che ti darò io.

This is going to be a DC with a few other roles added. I first tried adding all of them and that didn't work. I finally got down to just trying to install one role, any role, and I get the same error of 0x800f081f.

Jonathan

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:43 PM
  • 0x800f081f translates into CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING.

Would be helpful if you shared some logs to see what it is trying to do.

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:49 PM
  • 0x800f081f translates into CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING.

Would be helpful if you shared some logs to see what it is trying to do.

It should be going to the internet to pull down the source files. I don't have a local source for the files since the server was created from the pre-built VHD provided by Dell. I can post the CBS.log file but it's really big at 8MB. I'd rather post a portion of it that's relevant, only I don't know which portion that would be.

Jonathan

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:59 PM
  • I tried another DISM procedure and like before it found problems which it said it corrected. So I tried to add the File Server role and it failed with the original error code of 0x80073701.

So I'm still stuck.

Jonathan

Monday, April 13, 2015 6:15 PM
  • Please put;

\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

up on skydrive and I'll take a look.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Please put;

\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

up on skydrive and I'll take a look.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Dave,

here's the link to the files, http://1drv.ms/1zaC0cR. The CBS.log is from today so it probably doesn't contain any references to the 0x800f081f error but it should contain references to the 0x80073701 error.

Jonathan

Monday, April 13, 2015 9:18 PM
  • The cbs.log is unexpectedly 88mB in size. Not normal. Please move or delete it then run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth

and put the two new files up again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:06 AM
  • The cbs.log is unexpectedly 88mB in size. Not normal. Please move or delete it then run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth

and put the two new files up again.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

New CBS.log file is in the OneDrive folder. It's only 48kb.

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:26 PM
  • As you mentioned you are not installing .Net framework & normally this error popup when user tries to install .NET on window server, but you may even face this type of error when your server is having an application which needed older version of .Net Framework installed  and when that application will try to download the files by Windows Update , you’ll face that particular error 0x800F081F. Which says server can not find the source of the files that you are looking to install.

To resolve this error follow this solution with certain sequence of steps.

1. First of all check the source you are using is not corrupt as if you download ISO from MSDN/TechNet/VL/etc, try to ensure that ISO is not corrupt.
    2. After that look that the component store is not corrupt you can do this by running the command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from a machine which is internet connected.
    3. If you are working with WSUS server , try to use the /LimitAccess switch from DISM to install the component 

1. Installing roles I would think the source would be from the SXS or whatever folder or else direct from the internet. I really don't know what source Server 2012 uses when installing roles. I do know that when you install the .NET 3.5 feature on Server 2012 that unless you specify an alternate source it gets the files from the internet.

2. As stated above the DISM command has been run multiple times and each time it says it found corruption which it fixed. Since it says the same thing each time, I'm wondering why it keeps finding corruption since it says it has fixed it unless it really didn't fix it.

3. No WSUS server on the network.

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Looks good now, no errors. 0x80073701 is ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING So as Blake says we're missing some components. You might try to add role again, then if failure, upload another CBS.log with results.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:25 AM
  • Looks good now, no errors. 0x80073701 is ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING So as Blake says we're missing some components. You might try to add role again, then if failure, upload another CBS.log with results.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

The CBS.log had again grown to 88mb so I renamed it and then tried to install the File Server and File Services Resource Manager roles. The new CBS.log quickly grew to 58MB. I've uploaded it and hope it's readable.

Jonathan

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:34 PM

You can try sfc /scannow If that doesn't help you may need to do a repair install. This one is for Server 2008 but steps are the same.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, April 17, 2015 12:34 AM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sorry for the delay. I just tried adding the DNS Server role and of course it failed. I've posted the CBS.log after the failure so you can see what it contains. Hopefully it will show where the problem is and what needs to be done.

http://1drv.ms/1Hx7emI

Jonathan

Friday, April 24, 2015 4:51 PM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

I already tried sfc /scannow and it didn't find anything. If this latest CBS.log posting doesn't lead to a fix, then I'm just going to get a 2012 R2 ISO and create a new VM rather than trying to use the pre-built VHDX file Dell included.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:06 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Microsoft-Windows-ServerCore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384 [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

I'd agree the best solution is to build a new VM from scratch and move the roles over.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Proposed as answer by FaustoNascimento Friday, April 24, 2015 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mandy Ye Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:47 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 4:57 PM