Supress OSD popups for clients RRS feed

• Question

•  

I want to be able to supress the availabilty of new OSes being made availalbe to client machines.

Currently the default behaviour seems to be that if an advertised OS is available to a machine and everytime the client gets an OSD popup saying a there are operating systems ready for the user.

I can not seem to be able to find an option to supress this in the same way you can supress a software package from issuing popups.

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, you are quite right.

How about this - before it is advertised, you push some registry keys to your clients.

e.g. if your new task sequence has an ID of ABC0123.

You can create a key called:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\Execution History\System\ABC0123

With a subkey of a GUID (any ideas how this GUID is defined?). If this was pushed, it'd fool the clients into thinking it has already run the package so it won't pop it up.

This is a total hack, but I believe it would fix the problem.

• Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:25 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

•  

bump
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:17 AM
  • I was hoping some imput could be made for this. I have only been able to supress OSD popups by turning it off in "advertised programs client agents" Properties. This, however, suppresses OSD and software package popups. I really would like software package popups but not OSD ones.

As i mentined before appliactions packages can be controlled whether or not they display a popup but OSD TS's dont.

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:19 PM
  • I've been looking for the same thing without luck- I just want my OSD advertisements available via PXE only. There is a switch in the advertisement to make it available to PXE as well normal methods, but I want it to be only available via PXE.

But what Mykel said would also do the job!
    Friday, April 25, 2008 3:22 PM
  • other then what i mentioned above i havent found anything else to OSD popup supresssion.

however, there is a way to make it so OSD will only work from PXE. you can add a condition to the start of the TS that checks if its running in a PE enviroment. if its not the TS can be set to fail.

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Hmm, that is not a bad idea. If you make the advertisement mandatory, you can then set the OSD advertisement to not allow the user to run the advertisement inpendently of the mandatory advertisement. So it would be fairly invisible to the user at that point.

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:42 PM
  •  

if it mandatory wont it get auto selected when you do a pxe boot?
    Monday, June 23, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Yes, you are quite right.

How about this - before it is advertised, you push some registry keys to your clients.

e.g. if your new task sequence has an ID of ABC0123.

You can create a key called:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\Execution History\System\ABC0123

With a subkey of a GUID (any ideas how this GUID is defined?). If this was pushed, it'd fool the clients into thinking it has already run the package so it won't pop it up.

This is a total hack, but I believe it would fix the problem.

• Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:25 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:46 PM