Sharepoint 2007 compatibility with Win 2008 R2 Domain Dontrollers/AD RRS feed

• Question

• Our Sharepoint 2007 infrastructure runs in an Active Directory environment with all DCs running Win 2003 R2. We are going to upgrade all DCs to 2008 R2 and raise the domain and forest functional levels to 2008 R2.

Will this have any impact on Sharepoint 2007, or will it continue to run with full compatibility?

Thanks for any help,

Iain

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:27 PM

All replies

• Provided you do not change the domain name or the SIDs of any objects (i.e. provided you are simply upgrading the domain and not migrating anything) then there should be no impact to SharePoint.

The one difference is if you are importing user profiles. The name of the delegated right in a 2003 AD is "Replicate Directory Changes" whereas in 2008 it is now "Replicating Directory Changes". See Grant Active Directory Domain Services permissions for profile synchronization (SharePoint Server 2010) (and while this is SharePoint 2010 resource it describes the rights the account needs whether you are using MOSS, 2010, or 2013).

I'm not sure whether the upgrade accounts for this name change but it's worth checking to make sure your profile import continues to work.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Jason,

We do import user profiles and we do have the permissions in place that are specified in the Technet article.

I'm an AD looking at an upgrade from Sharepoint perspective, of which I hae no knowledge, so many thanks for your help.

Iain

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:54 AM