none
GFS - monthly/weekly/daily backup setup? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to DPM and finding it very confusing compared to Backup Exec and other backup programs. Not been able to find a decent guide or blog on how to setup a grandfather/father/son setup like I normally would.

I want to backup to disk daily in an incremental fashion, duplicate to tape and then weekly I want a full backup to disk and duplicated to tape and on the last week of the month, I want a full monthly backup. You know, the stock standard backup scheme.

How does one accomplish this with DPM?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Modify the protection group and select the additional option "I want lont-term protection using tape".  Then select the daily, weekly, and monthly options with the retention range for each. 

Then select modify the backup schedule and change the options to fit your needs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Modify the protection group and select the additional option "I want lont-term protection using tape".  Then select the daily, weekly, and monthly options with the retention range for each. 

Then select modify the backup schedule and change the options to fit your needs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Mike, perfect answer.

Just a quick follow up if you don't mind, what does this mean in terms of the short-term goals? Or to rephrase, where are the incremental settings

So if I want daily incrementals or even several incrementals per day, am I suppose to set "express full backups" every day and trust that "for applications the recovery point is as per synchronization frequency when they support incremental" those express full backups somehow gets converted in the backend to incremental if my servers and applications support it?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

For workloads that don't support Incremental backup (SQL DB's in simple recovery mode, Hyper-V VM's) the only option is express full. The data transferred during an express full backup are "incremental block level changes" - but the end result is it's a full backup when it complete.   All long term tape backups are full backups.  

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:56 PM