Start Menu will not display the entire entire start menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have just noticed this a few times the last couple of days.  If you click on start the bottom part of the start menu is hidden as if the window had been dragged below the view of the monitor.  I cannot click all programs or the first few items on either side of the start menu.  I have not changed to classic but I have added a few of my favorite items such as run to the start menu.  Yesterday it just corrected itself.  Today It looks as if I will have to reboot to get it back in order.   If you knew what programs where in the list you can still use the keyboard to move down the list but you cannot see it.

Has anyone else seen this?

Jeff

Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Havasutech,

That is odd that it comes and goes like that,  is there a rollback driver available?  If not uninstall the device and install WDDM 1.1 beta driver version.  Windows 7 should do this by default.
    • Proposed as answer by SaMcp1123 Friday, June 5, 2009 6:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 5, 2009 8:54 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Jeff,

I have encountered a problem very similar to yours.  It was a driver problem for me.  What is your hardware and driver versions?

Friday, June 5, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Well, I was here for the same reason. Almost. My Start menu Programs were empty, completely. And if I clicked on "=> All Programs", the arrow that points to the right would turn around and point left while at the same time "All Programs" would change to "<=Back". Freaked me out for a minute. Had already rebooted once. But after right clicking on "=>All Programs" , properties, and Custom, and finally "Use default" I'm all good again. Since I had already set up a User Name I figured I'd tell me story. I'm outta here - never mind.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:57 AM
  • The weird part of this is it will come and go.  Within a half hour of rebooting my machine it showed up again.  Then after an hour or so it went back to normal.  I have been trying to see if an application or something was triggering this but I can't catch a pattern to figure out where and shy.

For my video drivers I am using a Radeon x1650 with microsof wddm driver version 8.56.1.13.

Jeff
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hello Havasutech,

That is odd that it comes and goes like that,  is there a rollback driver available?  If not uninstall the device and install WDDM 1.1 beta driver version.  Windows 7 should do this by default.
    • Proposed as answer by SaMcp1123 Friday, June 5, 2009 6:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 5, 2009 8:54 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:33 PM
  • There was no rollback driver so I uninstalled the video driver and then it automatically reinstalled the driver.  Presto back to normal.  At least that seems to point to the video drivers as the potential problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:10 PM