none
Preserving Compatibility View Settings Upgrading to IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am in the process of upgrading Win7 64bit PCs with IE10 (and a few IE8) to IE11 - they seem to lose their compatibility view sites when they are upgraded - is there a way of preserving these site preferences so they still work in IE11?

Thanks

• Edited by warden976 Friday, October 16, 2015 7:04 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If that file doesn’t work, you have to backup it before upgrade and add it into new Internet Explorer manually. The “iecompatCache” folder also doesn’t have any record for this.

For your requirement, maybe you need Enterprise mode. Due to the settings in this mode are managed by domain GPO, the settings will not change if you upgrade your Internet Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi warden976,

You may consider using following group policy to manage the compatibility view list.

Computer or User Configuration-> Policies-> Administrative Templates-> Windows Components ->Internet Explorer -> Compatibility ViewUse Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites = Enabled and sites added to the list

For more information, you may refer to: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2013/10/23/how-to-add-web-site-to-compatibility-view-list-via-gpo.aspx

Cheers

Friday, October 16, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Hi Jiang,

Thanks for your reply, I'm aware of the GPO (we use it for another customer) I'm more looking for a way of ensuring end users get to keep what they have already added themselves - is there some way of say exporting these items from IE8 and 10 and importing into 11?

Thanks

Andy

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Do you want to save your compatibility settings and sites after upgrading Internet Explorer?

If it does, you can try to copy the compatibility sites list manually in the Internet Explorer data path and paste it into the new path. The compatibility sites list is located at located at File:\\%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml.

Good luck with you.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

That file seems to be a default one - it doesn't contain any of the custom entries I've added, and isn't updated when I add more.

I am looking for a way of retaining users custom additions, for example they might have added www.theregister.co.uk and want to retain that going forward into IE11 rather than just having to re-add the entries again as they come across them.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If that file doesn’t work, you have to backup it before upgrade and add it into new Internet Explorer manually. The “iecompatCache” folder also doesn’t have any record for this.

For your requirement, maybe you need Enterprise mode. Due to the settings in this mode are managed by domain GPO, the settings will not change if you upgrade your Internet Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:11 AM