none
MS Project 2010 SP2 crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I installed MSP SP2 this morning.  It resolves some issues I had.  However, it crashed this afternoon.

Should I have concerns about this update?

Thanks,

Benoit

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:53 PM

All replies

• Benoit1,

Generally service pack updates are a must, particularly for Project, however I have seen a couple of posts on this forum about SP2 causing problems with some configurations although I can't locate any with a search at the moment. However the June 2013 cumulative update supposedly resolved many issues with Project, including crashing, and the update was released after SP2. I'd try installing that cumulative update.

But just to cover some other bases, what were you doing with Project when it crashed? Are you running any macros? Are you in a Project Server environment?

John

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:11 PM
  • Benoit,

Crashes are often caused by hardware failures (memory, corrupt disk, cracked motherboard, etc.). If a laptop, they do go bad in time.  Seen it often.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hi Rob, thanks for the feedback.  Hardware failures typically create a complete PC crash and you sometimes get the Windows blue screen.  If it was an hardware problem, I dout that only MS Project would have crash.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hi John, thanks for the reply.  There was several opened projects, one local file and some from project server.  I was closing them when MSP crashed.

I do not run any macro and I am in a Project Server environment.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Benoit1,

Did, or do you have, the June 2013 cumulative update installed? If not, install it.

I do not work with Project Server so I don't know if there are any issues that might arise by having local and server files open together. This forum is primarily for stand alone installations of Project. You might want to re-post to the Project Server forum.at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=projectserver2010general.

If you do re-post to the server forum, please note that in this thread so that someone else doesn't spend time responding only to find out that there is a duplicate post on a different forum.

John

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:30 PM