Terminal Services Total Number of Active Sessions alert RRS feed

• Question

• I recieved an alert on the Total Number of Active Sessions for  a Win 2003R2 TS that is puzzling me..
    We're using the latest TS MP and are using SCOM 2007 R2 CU4.
    When looking at the knowledge for the alert it states the following:

Resolutions
    To prevent this problem, configure a maximum number of active sessions allowed, based on the performance limits for the computer hardware on which Terminal Server is installed.
    You can configure the maximum number of active sessions you want this terminal server to allow in Active Session limit on the Sessions tab of the Connection Properties dialog box in Terminal Services Configuration.

The text in italic above does not seem correct to me..? The Active Sessions Limit as referred to in the text does not change the concurrent user limit, but just the time the user can be logged in, or am I wrong? Shouldn't the text point to the Network Adapter tab and the Maximum Connections setting?

When I look at the monitor itself it seems to be a a baselining performance monitor which should alert when it falls outside the baseline, which doesn't match the description of the monitor, so I'm curious which one that is correct??

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:11 AM

Answers

• i'd recommend disable the monitor.

1. it's a baselining monitor, which doesn't really work well. The best practice is not to use this.

2. it alerts if the number of session doesn't fit the "normal" profile > who cares.

3. the important monitors for TS servers are performance monitors and there are plenty of those in place. If the TS server has perf issue you'll get alerts, no matter how many session the server has.

IF you disable this monitor, dont forget to disable the corresponding collecting rule. 

And to answer your question. No, it doesnt change a thing.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by JonRunheim Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:39 PM

All replies

•  Shouldn't the text point to the Network Adapter tab and the Maximum Connections setting?

Yes :)

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Ok, good :)

What's still to solve then is: Even if changed, does this parameter affect anything in SCOM since the monitor is a baselining monitor?

Friday, April 29, 2011 1:19 PM
  • i'd recommend disable the monitor.

1. it's a baselining monitor, which doesn't really work well. The best practice is not to use this.

2. it alerts if the number of session doesn't fit the "normal" profile > who cares.

3. the important monitors for TS servers are performance monitors and there are plenty of those in place. If the TS server has perf issue you'll get alerts, no matter how many session the server has.

IF you disable this monitor, dont forget to disable the corresponding collecting rule. 

And to answer your question. No, it doesnt change a thing.

Rob Korving
    • Marked as answer by JonRunheim Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the answer.
    I disabled the monitor but kept the rule as I want to see the statistic for this. I guess that shouldn't be a problem?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:04 PM