Serious problem with Windows Server 2008 based domain controllers in a parent and child domain environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i've a problem with Windows Server 2008 based domain controllers in a parent and child domain environment.

This is my situation:

SRV08SEDE                  is Windows Server 2008 parent DC and Global Catalog

(is owner of 5 roles) of domain PIPPO.LOCALE:

C:\>netdom query fsmo

Master schema                        SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master denominazione domini   SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

PDC                                       SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

Gestione pool RID                   SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master infrastrutture                SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

SRV08FIL1                    is Windows Server 2008 child DC of domain FIL1 and isn’t GC

Master schema                                     SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master denominazione domini     SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

PDC                                         SRV08FIL1.FIL1.PIPPO.LOCALE

Gestione pool RID                                 SRV08FIL1.FIL1.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master infrastrutture                              SRV08FIL1.FIL1.PIPPO.LOCALE

SRV08FIL2                    is Windows Server 2008 child DC of domain FIL2 and isn’t GC

Master schema                                     SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master denominazione domini     SRV08SEDE.PIPPO.LOCALE

PDC                                         SRV08FIL2.FIL2.PIPPO.LOCALE

Gestione pool RID                                 SRV08FIL2.FIL2.PIPPO.LOCALE

Master infrastrutture                              SRV08FIL2.FIL2.PIPPO.LOCALE

PC1FIL1                                   is Windows XP prof. SP3 PC domain client of FIL1

PC1FIL2                                   is Windows XP prof. SP3 PC domain client of FIL2

and all is ok when the Server 2008 parent (SRV08SEDE) is up (i.e. the changes are replicate correctly from and to all Servers) but when SRV08SEDE is down, all PC domain client cannot establish a connection with your DC (SRV08FIL1 or SRV08FIL2 are up) and in event application viewer of PC Windows XP receive the id event 1053 of Userenv and in system viewer the events id 40960 and 40961 of LSASRV (and when I try to access of network shares of my DC, i receive the windows of authentication to digit my username and password).

Anyone can help me?
    Thanks in advance.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:15 AM

Answers

• Maxim,

Any reasons why the SRV08FIL1 DC (fil1.pippo.locale) and SRV08FIL2 DC (fil2.pippo.locale) are not Global Catalogs? If the Parent Domain is down then there's no global catalogs in your forest for logon purposes.

Regards,
    Mylo

• Proposed as answer by GlennExpert Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brent Hu Friday, May 27, 2011 4:47 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• Maxim,

Any reasons why the SRV08FIL1 DC (fil1.pippo.locale) and SRV08FIL2 DC (fil2.pippo.locale) are not Global Catalogs? If the Parent Domain is down then there's no global catalogs in your forest for logon purposes.

Regards,
    Mylo

• Proposed as answer by GlennExpert Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brent Hu Friday, May 27, 2011 4:47 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Thanks Mylo, you have really reason!
    I've raised the 2 child DC to GC and now all works correctly!

Regards, Maxim
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:10 AM