Removing search box, and creating folders in start menu RRS feed

• Question

• Two questions:
    - Can I hide the search box in the start menu? I don't use it, I find it easier to just organize things sanely so I can find them.
    - How do I create a folder in All Programs, besides opening Explorer to the folder and doing it from there?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"- Can I hide the search box in the start menu? I don't use it, I find it easier to just organize things sanely so I can find them."

No, it is impossible.

"-How do I create a folder in All Programs, besides opening Explorer to the folder and doing it from there?".

What is your purpose? For most programs, when installing, it will create a shortcut in "All programs" in "Start" menu. The folders that stored shortcuts in All programs are listed below.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Kristaps. _ Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 17, 2009 8:28 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"- Can I hide the search box in the start menu? I don't use it, I find it easier to just organize things sanely so I can find them."

No, it is impossible.

"-How do I create a folder in All Programs, besides opening Explorer to the folder and doing it from there?".

What is your purpose? For most programs, when installing, it will create a shortcut in "All programs" in "Start" menu. The folders that stored shortcuts in All programs are listed below.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Kristaps. _ Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 17, 2009 8:28 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Try to use the search box - you'll quickly learn to like it ;)

About your questions - what Arthur said :)

Regards,
    Kristaps.

P.S.: Epic shoop is epic.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:16 AM
  • I don't think u can get rid of the search box - but I haven't tried. I just ignore it.
    BUT u can easily create folders and organize to ur hearts content by going to
    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    and
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - where "user" is ur profile name
    I made shortcuts in my quick launch taskbar.

Once u have the folders set up u can move things around right in the start menu as u can in XP.

PLEASE note - I believe that W7 places both of these lists into another area when u logon.
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    u do not want to edit that folder - thing happen. I had a strange issue with desktop icons when I did that.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:49 PM