Installing IE on XP embedded SP2 (Version 2002) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an XP Embedded computer missing IE. What version of IE could I install on this machine?

The reason for this installation is to run Symantec antivirus. This program need IE. I am not connected to Internet with this machine. Could this cause any problems during installation of IE?

Thanks

Best Regards

Hans Pettersson

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Answers

• I have an XP Embedded computer missing IE. What version of IE could I install on this machine?

Does XP Embedded have any default programs running, such as explorer.exe?  If so, you would already have one running which would show you the current level of browsing functionality installed.  E.g. if you have msinfo32.exe you could use its Loaded Modules display to find IE modules such as  ieframe.dll  and what its version is.  In fact, I just realized that since this is XP, if you have msinfo32.exe  you may also have its  IE  node to look at.  The point of doing this is that you may find that security patches could have already updated your version of browsing functionality to IE8 level.  Then that would be as high as you could go with XP.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:34 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 5:38 PM
    Answerer