Still having search issues with MS Office 2016 standalone (not 365) Version 1710 (Build 8625.2127) RRS feed

• Question

• A customer of mine has been having search issues with MS Office 2016 standalone (not 365) November 14, 2017 Version 1710 (Build 8625.2127) running on Windows 10 Pro build 1703 15063.276. The customer inputs a known good active term into Outlook instant search (or advanced search) and after scanning for four seconds it finds no results. Removing all entries from indexing allows Outlook to search but it is quite slow and errors with "there has been an error and your search could not be completed..." 

I have done the following to troubleshoot this issue - all to no avail, re-indexing after each step.

Reinstalled Office 2016
    Updated Office to current build, updated Windows 10 Pro.
    Delete all unneeded email, COMPACTED PST, ran SCANPST and fixed.

Removed and reinserted Outlook into the Indexer and rebuilt.
    Specified the Outlook FILES into the Indexer and rebuilt.
    Manually deleted windows.edb files and restarted Windows Search to rebuild.
    Reinstalled Office 2016 (internet install). 

Created a new Outlook Profile.
    Created an new USER PROFILE with NEW OUTLOOK PROFILE.

At this point - I am at a loss as to the fix for this issue.  This is absolutely horrible. 

Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:04 PM

All replies

• Want to add to this...

Also ran chskdsk /f
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow

No issues were reported for any of these tools.

Also, the issue exists on at least one addition computer in this office.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Hi DaCheeze,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

>> Also, the issue exists on at least one addition computer in this office.

Could you please collect the detailed version information of both Outlook and Windows system on this computer as well then we can do further research on this?

Besides, to help narrow down the issue, please try to start Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and check the result.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 4:03 AM
  • Yuki,

I will have to obtain the build information for the additional PC from the user - as he is often working remotely.
    But I believe he is on the same build of Windows 10 & Office (MS Office 2016 standalone (not 365) November 14, 2017 Version 1710 (Build 8625.2127) running on Windows 10 Pro build 1703 15063.276) as I had run updates all machines a few weeks ago. 

Running outlook /safe just gives me "search performance will be impacted because Windows Search Service is turned off in safe mode".  Search appears to function, perhaps a bit faster. What else am I looking for here ?

DaCheeze

Saturday, December 2, 2017 5:35 PM