A Distribution Group is automatically added as a recipient when replying to an e-mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I'm having an issue with a Distribution Group that is AUTOMATICALLY added as a recipient when sending a message even if it didn't appear in the "To" field when typing the message.

It all started with one user who sent a message to this group. Then somebody replied to the mail using the simple "Reply" function, not the "Reply to All" one. After this second user sent his message, the group was added in the recipients list (in the "To" field, not in CC or BCC). And everybody who then replied to this conversation had the same issue. Of course everybody started to freak out and people received A LOT of mails (the group contains about 10k users).

To avoid the confusion and the overload on our servers, we changed the delivery options for this group and blacklisted every sender. Everything is OK now but I'd really like to know what happened here. Anybody has an idea?

Thank you very much for your help!

Nick

Friday, July 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

As Ed suggested, please check if there is any rule to copy messages sending from this problematic user to this distribution group.

What's more, please verify the following thing:

Please let one user send a message to this distribution group, and then a distribution group member (except the above problematic member) reply to this message. Please check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:04 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 9:02 AM

All replies

• Does the user have a rule that forwards to the group?  Is the group an alternate recipient on the user account?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:35 AM
  • Hi Nick,

As Ed suggested, please check if there is any rule to copy messages sending from this problematic user to this distribution group.

What's more, please verify the following thing:

Please let one user send a message to this distribution group, and then a distribution group member (except the above problematic member) reply to this message. Please check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:04 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Thanks for your replies!

@Ed: There is no rule to automatically forward to the group.

@Amy: That's exactly what happened, I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough as English is not my native language. Let me explain precisely what happens:

1. User1 sends a message to Group (Group contains User2, User3 and User4)
    2. User2 replies with the "Reply" button, not the "Reply to all" button. Whenever he edits his message before sending, everything is fine and only User1 is in the "To" field
    3. Once the mail is sent, Group is added to the recipient list, so User1 AND Group receive the e-mail from User2
    4. Everytime User2, User3 or User4 try to reply to the original mail OR one of the mails that has been replied to, the same issue occurs

I hope it's clearer now

Monday, July 21, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Are you sure that there's no rule in any of the recipients' mailboxes?  Are you sure that there is no alternate recipient associated with any of the recipients to copy mail to the group?  Are you sure that there's no transport rule involved?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:27 AM