Blue Screen Windows 7 should I update to SP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  I am an beginner when it comes to what is happening with my computer.  I purchased a Dell computer 2 months ago.  I let my computer on it sleep mode.  When I go to use the computer, I have to log on, the computer is telling me it rebooted due to a blue screen.  I have Windows 7 and have an update for SP1. I have NOT updated yet.  Should I update?  How do I find out what the error is?  I have received it 3 times in a couple of weeks.  I did do 2 updates to security.  On on the 17 of July and another one yesterday.  Could it be the updates?  I am confused by what I am reading on the net and in this forum.  Some say to download this or that and it will correct the problem.  Others say to uninstall the updates and that will correct the problem and others tell me to get rid of AVG.  Please help.  Thanks you.

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hi

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are). 
    I suggest that you may take following steps to prevent an error like this from happening again:

1.	Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update(Include Windows 7 SP1 package).
    2.	Scan your computer for computer viruses.
    3.	Use “chkdsk /f” to check your hard disk for errors.

If the issue persist after you following the steps above, we should further research the problem with the mini dump file. Please compress the files in the path of C:\Windows\Minidump\, upload the files via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi!  I am an beginner when it comes to what is happening with my computer.  I purchased a Dell computer 2 months ago.  I let my computer on it sleep mode.  When I go to use the computer, I have to log on, the computer is telling me it rebooted due to a blue screen.  I have Windows 7 and have an update for SP1. I have NOT updated yet.  Should I update?  How do I find out what the error is?  I have received it 3 times in a couple of weeks.  I did do 2 updates to security.  On on the 17 of July and another one yesterday.  Could it be the updates?  I am confused by what I am reading on the net and in this forum.  Some say to download this or that and it will correct the problem.  Others say to uninstall the updates and that will correct the problem and others tell me to get rid of AVG.  Please help.  Thanks you.

Several points:

1. You've told us next to nothing about the blue screen, so it's very difficult to offer you any help with it. What is the error code?

2. Blue screens can be caused by many things, and one of the most common is a *hardware* problem, rather than a software one.

3. As a general rule, you should always install all critical updates to Windows asap. That includes SP1.

4. It is highly unlikely that updates are causing your problem.

5. It is also highly unlikely that installing SP1 will solve your problem.

6. It's very common these days that problems are caused by malware infection. What anti-virus program and anti-spyware program do you run?

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are). 
    I suggest that you may take following steps to prevent an error like this from happening again:

1.	Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update(Include Windows 7 SP1 package).
    2.	Scan your computer for computer viruses.
    3.	Use “chkdsk /f” to check your hard disk for errors.

If the issue persist after you following the steps above, we should further research the problem with the mini dump file. Please compress the files in the path of C:\Windows\Minidump\, upload the files via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:05 AM