none
Backup Entire Machine? System Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks;

I'm using DPM 2010 to backup a laptop on a workgroup. I'm not sure I have the settings correct though - I want DPM 2010 to backup the entire C:\ drive - everything on it.

To that end I chose to Include the System Drive - is that all there is to it? Will choosing that back up literally everything on the target?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Yes selecting to include the System Drive would be the entire C:\ drive.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Thank you for confirming that :-)
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hmmm..... wait a sec.....

I just deleted the protection group for the computer I was protecting and then created a new one, put that computer in it, selected back up the System Drive and let 'er rip.

Once done, according to DPM it took 12.77 GB but the system drive on the client shows 21.9 GB in total space used.

That doesn't sound like it got everything. Are you sure chosing back up the System Drive grabs the entire disk or is there something else afoot?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Hmmm..... wait a sec.....

I just deleted the protection group for the computer I was protecting and then created a new one, put that computer in it, selected back up the System Drive and let 'er rip.

Once done, according to DPM it took 12.77 GB but the system drive on the client shows 21.9 GB in total space used.

That doesn't sound like it got everything. Are you sure chosing back up the System Drive grabs the entire disk or is there something else afoot?

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what the issue is with the different sizes on your DPM without looking at your environment. However it should be grabbing the c:\ drive by protecting the system drive. I double checked this today. See the following images from one of my DPM servers that is protecting the system drive.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:32 AM
  • So when it says User Data that doesn't actually mean just the user data (ie. User Profiles) ?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:34 AM
  • So when it says User Data that doesn't actually mean just the user data (ie. User Profiles) ?

Hi Dave,

Drill down into yours. It should contain more then just user data. I restored and checked mine and all of the data was there.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:45 AM
  • It does look like it's all there. I suppose the only way to really be certain would be to test it out by wiping out one of my machines and doing a restore. Thanks for the continued help! :-)
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:51 AM
  • It does look like it's all there. I suppose the only way to really be certain would be to test it out by wiping out one of my machines and doing a restore. Thanks for the continued help! :-)
    Sounds good. Remember it is best to test of a machine that is expendable not a production machine. Let us know how your test works out.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Before I get to that point I have a couple of hypothetical questions that maybe you can help answer?

I've put an XP laptop on the backup rotation and it's working well. I set it to protect it for 15 days.

If that machine goes off the network for, let's say, 3 months, will the 15 days of data remain or will it be deleted?

Secondly, I have secure VPN capability into the network and can easily create a VPN connection for that machine. That laptop is going to be traveling for 3 months (away from the network with spotty wifi). So I was thinking, is it possible for just the DPM client software to be configured to connect via the VPN connection when it wants to backup?

Kind of what I'm getting at is this, if that client happens to be in a somewhat reliable hotspot it would be nice if, when the DPM client tries to syncronize, it connects via VPN and manages to get in a backup :-)

Don't know if it's possible but I thought I would check and see if you would happen to know of these things while I've got your attention :-)

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Before I get to that point I have a couple of hypothetical questions that maybe you can help answer?

I've put an XP laptop on the backup rotation and it's working well. I set it to protect it for 15 days.

If that machine goes off the network for, let's say, 3 months, will the 15 days of data remain or will it be deleted?

Secondly, I have secure VPN capability into the network and can easily create a VPN connection for that machine. That laptop is going to be traveling for 3 months (away from the network with spotty wifi). So I was thinking, is it possible for just the DPM client software to be configured to connect via the VPN connection when it wants to backup?

Kind of what I'm getting at is this, if that client happens to be in a somewhat reliable hotspot it would be nice if, when the DPM client tries to syncronize, it connects via VPN and manages to get in a backup :-)

Don't know if it's possible but I thought I would check and see if you would happen to know of these things while I've got your attention :-)

Hi Dave,

Remote protection of user laptops is something I struggle with as well. You cant control their remote users connect and therefore it is hard to get good backups.

I don't know of a way to automatically detect of they are on a good or poor connection and then connect to VPN. The DPM client does not have that capability and does not control VPN. The DPM client can only be set to try and sync on a schedule.

I do know of a way to schedule a VPN connection but this is yet a gamble on weather the connection will be good or not. If you are interested in that you can read about it here: http://www.buchatech.com/2011/04/configure-windows-to-automatically-connect-to-vpn/.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech - that's about what I figured but I thought I would ask just in case :-)

I sure appreciate your help through this thread, it's nice when someone knowledgable can come in and blast off a few answers for the newby's :-)

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech - that's about what I figured but I thought I would ask just in case :-)

I sure appreciate your help through this thread, it's nice when someone knowledgable can come in and blast off a few answers for the newby's :-)

NP

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:10 AM