Datasheet problems after upgrade to Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded from Sharepoint 2007 (on Windows Server 2003, 32-bit) to Sharepoint 2010 (new server, Windows Server 2008, 64-bit).  We are a small company (about 40 users) and do not have a dedicated Sharepoint administrator/developer.  I am NOT an IT person, but I was kind of thrown into the role of managing/supporting our Sharepoint intranet.

I, like many others, have been having frustrating issues with datasheet view on lists.  Quite simply, no one in our office can use Datasheet view since we upgraded.  We had been able to use it with our Sharepoint 2007 site.  Our users have a variety of software - some only Office 2010, some have a combination of Office 2007/Office 2010, while others have Office 2007.  Yet no one can use datasheet view.  Interestingly enough, we have not been getting the ActiveX error that I've read so much about.

Below is a summary of our problems:

Long lists, after selecting datasheet view:

• "Cannot connect to the server at this time.  You can continue working with this list, but some data may not be available."
    • "Unable to retrieve all data."
    • The item counts displays say 100 out of 3500 items.

Short lists (~10 items), after selecting datasheet view:

• We don't receive the "cannot connect" error, which was exciting.
    • When we try to edit in datasheet view, we receive the following messages: "You have errors. Resolve." and "Read-only" are displayed on the bottom of the datasheet.  When we try to find more information on the error, it says "An unexpected error has occurred.  Changes to your data cannot be saved.  For this error, you can retry or discard your changes."

I even tried to create a brand new list with just one column "Item."  I switched to Datasheet view to enter an item, and I received the same errors listed above for "Short lists."

Some other things I've noted:

• Dropdowns do not appear in datasheet view - it's just blank when you click on the arrow.
    • Combo boxes just have an unchecked "(All)" option available.

I've also tried Exporting a list to Excel, and this is the message I've received:

• "An operation that uses the database driver could not be completed.  If the driver is a Microsoft driver, make sure the driver file isn't damaged, and if it is, reinstall the driver by reinstalling Microsoft Query.  For other drivers, contact your database administrator or driver vendor."

Some things to note in general:

• I have full control permissions on the site.
    • No data validation is required on the lists.
    • All required fields are filled in appropriately.
    • No content approval is required.
    • Allow items to be edited using datasheet is selected (under list options).

Any help would be appreciated.  When suggesting tips, please try to be as specific as possible where to go to change things, since again, I'm not an IT person.  :)

Thanks so much!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:43 PM

Answers

• We finally resolved the problem. Apparently Microsoft doesn't notify you when there are updates available for Sharepoint, so we never realized we hadn't installed the latest updates. We installed Service Pack 1 for Foundation and Server, as well as the June Cumulative updates for both, and Voila! The datasheet issues suddenly disappeared. And now I've learned something new - to manually check for Sharepoint updates! I wonder if this problem wouldn't have happened if we had just started with a Sharepoint 2010 site, rather than upgrading from Sharepoint 2007.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:44 PM

All replies

• one question first - Do you tested these issues on both 64-bit and 32-bit version of Microsoft Office Client (Excel) and Internet Explorer?

I also had similiar (but not exactly the same) errors when I was opening datasheet view in 64-bit Internet Explorer/Office and the resolution was to install some 32-bit add-ons. Please check if on 32-bit workstation it works and let me know.

Regards, Stanisław Delost, MCP, MCTS, MCITP @ NETPRIME.
    Check my SharePoint Blog
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hi Stanislaw,

We have experienced this issue on 32-bit machines with 32-bit Office and IE.  We also have experienced the issue on 64-bit machines.

Thanks!

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Yikes!  To be honest, it would be easier to diagnose if you could post any relevant info from the Event Viewer, SharePoint logs or to enable diagnostics:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748656.aspx

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:06 PM
  • We finally resolved the problem. Apparently Microsoft doesn't notify you when there are updates available for Sharepoint, so we never realized we hadn't installed the latest updates. We installed Service Pack 1 for Foundation and Server, as well as the June Cumulative updates for both, and Voila! The datasheet issues suddenly disappeared. And now I've learned something new - to manually check for Sharepoint updates! I wonder if this problem wouldn't have happened if we had just started with a Sharepoint 2010 site, rather than upgrading from Sharepoint 2007.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:44 PM
  • nice to hear you solved it, but from my own experience I propose to be very careful about Cumulative Updates. Remember to always test them on dev/test environment before you deploy them to production, the cumulative updates aren't well tested and often break some functionality in SharePoint. Good strategy is to actually update your farm ONLY when you are experiencing some issues/bugs and you know that the Cumulative Update you want to install fixes these issues.
    Regards, Stanisław Delost, MCP, MCTS, MCITP @ NETPRIME.
    Check my SharePoint Blog
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Can I ask if you (or anyone) know which updates fix this datasheet problem?  Having exactly the same issue.

Thanks!

L

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:40 PM