Best practices for Automated Dashboard promotion from Dev to Test RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a larger team that is making changes to dashboards on a daily basis in our dev PPS environment.  Is there a good way to automate deployment of dashboards and dashboard components to a test PPS server?  I want to eliminate human error in the promotion process by scripting the deployment actions if at all possible.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Here you go:  http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3425933&SiteID=17

Thank you,

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Nope!  Won't work.  The dev server and production server cannot talk to each other  The BI-RAP tool is cool but it won't work in my situation.  I need a way to take the dashboard bswx file and publish all the content to a new montioring server.  It looks like I'm stuck training the deployment team how to use dashboard designer until I figure out how to make the web service calls that the designer makes when dashboard components are published.  Or I wait and hope that the next version has more robust deployment options. 

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hi Chad

You might find these posts useful for understanding the web service:

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/blogs/timkent/archive/2008/05/29/performancepoint-monitoring-web-service-part-1.aspx

Tim

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Aha, but now it supports the bswx file Smile

Plus, the dev and prod server don't have to talk to eachother for the BI Rap tool.  If you have a box in between which CAN talk to both, then you can run the tool from there.

And for others, if there are limitations or such you are finding with the BI Rap tool, please post in CodePlex! I don't know if it is or is not useful unless I hear from people, and so far I know people are using it (have had some feedback) - but I can respond or maybe look into features (if they're quick / easy) if you post.

Good luck!
    Kevin I

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:48 AM