none
Hyper-V causes Intel(R) Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller driver to fail

Question

• I have a set of HP Z210 Workstations with E3-1245-V2 Xeon Cpu's, SSD boot drives and varying sizes of memory from 8-16GB 1600Mghz DDR3 ECC. We use Windows 8 Enterprise for these machines, with Hyper-V enabled.

We get regular driver failures from the 2 sets of USB controllers on the machines (Mainly and issue for the KB & Mouse) that can only be resolved with a full power down (not restart) and a power up. This happens at least once every 1-3 days per machine.

I had gone through the HP support, but they have advised this isn't an issue on their side, and I had agreed all along. I was just hoping to get some traction by notifying them. Anyway, after a lengthy trouble shooting session, we found that once Hyper-V was enabled, the fault arose.

As it was an Intel chip, they I asked them. They advised that on Windows 8, the drivers are supplied via windows update and that it was not their issue.

So, how can I get this resolved? Not through HP or Intel, surely through MS? Maybe not. Disabling Hyper-V is not desired as I the teams with these PC's are developers and require local visualization. Also, we have templates ready for Hyper-V, I don't really want to remove Hyper-V and use Virtual box or VMWare workstation. but I am at wits end with the fault and lack of help from the vendors.

Please help.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:58 AM

Answers

• I have found a work around for this fault with the USB failure - ENSURE YOU POWER  THE MACHINE OFF - DO NOT RESTART.

Its almost like the restart doesn't initialise the device correct, thus causing a failure. 

• Marked as answer by SeanVucich Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:07 AM

All replies

• Having the same issue here. i removed hyper-v to stop the driver from failing, was rather annoying as my mouse/keyboard were hooked into that controller.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:32 PM
  • I have found a work around for this fault with the USB failure - ENSURE YOU POWER  THE MACHINE OFF - DO NOT RESTART.

Its almost like the restart doesn't initialise the device correct, thus causing a failure. 

• Marked as answer by SeanVucich Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Glad I found this thread!

The problem is still present with Windows 10 Professional Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3)

I bought a HP Z210 Workstation with Windows 7 Professional and 4GB RAM.  Upgraded to latest BIOS, then upgraded to Windows 10 Professional.  Added the Hyper-V role, and I think I had to do the first re-install because the keyboard and mouse stopped working (I definitely did reinstall, but not certain it was at this stage).  Not expected, but not too big a deal.

Hyper-V did work (running Windows Server 2012 R2 with 2GB RAM wasn't much fun!).

Having validated that things were working, I upgraded to 16GB RAM with 2 ECC sticks.  The keyboard and mouse again stopped working.

Another reinstall.

Windows 10 Professional installed, activated, keyboard and mouse working with 16GB RAM.

Then, added Hyper-V, and after the necessary restarts, Windows 10 comes up, but with no keyboard or mouse.

Very frustrating!

Been using HP at work for 13 years; have seen the odd bizarre issues over the years, but they are rare (most recently, if a machine had both DVI and VGA connected, would only boot to PXE, not hard disk).

Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:10 AM
  • For me, with...

• System SKU XM856AV
    • BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard J51 v01.52, 13/02/2015
    • Windows 10 Professional with 10.0.10586 Build 10586

...the following sequence works;

1. Install Windows 10 Professional.
    2. Install Intel Chipset 10.1.2.10
    3. Add Hyper-V

Hope this helps others :-)

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Really too bad microsoft doesn't fixit. Its a freaking hassle and I do not fresh install. There was no need for it before, and I can uninstall the device so many times in the time Id reinstall all my programs and settings. And if it doesn't get fixed, Id never know when it would return to my fresh install.
    Nevertheless: crazy from MS not to make sure ALL users can be happy with this system. Never had it before i got the C200 chipset.
    Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:12 PM
  • Does the power off vs restart still work in windows 10?
    Also, I wonder if you look in the BIOS for a setting relating to "Quick initialization" - Or similar? Sorry I don't have this model available any more as I have changed jobs. The issue only arises when a reboot is done and the BIOS does a partial check of the hardware (In windows 8/8.1 anyway). A full shutdown takes (marginally) longer as it has to check all of the devices in full.
    Friday, October 7, 2016 4:56 AM