Dragging files around within folders and pinned task bar questions. RRS feed

• Question

• I understand we cannot drag files around within folders in Windows 7, as we could with Vista and XP and I guess it never will be at this point, but is there an application or something we can use to allow this to happen? I absoltely need this ability to maintain the way I conduct my photography buisness, its honestly rediculous after owning Windows 7 Ultimate for so long (since the day it was released retail) I still must use Windows Vista becuase Microsft cannot give us a simple toggable options to allow us to do this again.

Secondly, is there a way to disable programs from pinning themselves to the taskbar? I know most have ways to unpin them, or remove them, but some do not. E.G. AIM, if I have it running, its going to be pinned and I absolutely cannot stand it. Is there a registry setting to just disable pinning all togther?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• Develop a specific file naming convention to identify your files. Then use the column headers to reorder the sorting. Yes, it's different, so try to adapt. The trick is to rename the file and adjust the sorting\ordering or create folders for each job\client.

Typically the programs like AIM or iTunes have an option or preferences menu. In the menu, I search and find the option to disable the automatic start of the application when Windows starts. This keeps it out of the background and from appearing in the notification area of the task bar. My preference is that when I want an app to run, I launch it. I have found that the app developers included the icon appearance in the run and auto run by default, so just disable the auto start.

You can also right-click the task bar, select properties, select the Customize button next to the notification area heading and adjust the behavior of the icons 

Pinned\pinning is different than notification area.

• Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Friday, April 22, 2011 7:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:18 PM