none
Converting VM to Hyper V HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server with VMware Esxi 5.1 runing 3 VM's.  One is a terminal server running Server 2003, and the other two are both running 2008 R2 64 bit.  We want to build a backup server running hyper-v in case those VM's crash.  I know that we will need to convert the VM's to hyper-v but I'm having difficulty locating tools that will do it.  Starwind and MVMC will not convert esxi 5.1 and/or 64 bit VM's (as is the common problem with most tools.)  We also have a seperate physical box running 2003 server that will be upgraded and migrated to a new box running 2008 R2 as a hyper V.  We are basically trying to take the existing vm's on vmware, convert to hyper-v, have a back up of each vm stored (but not running) on the new migrated hyper v system for fail over.  The 3 existing VM's on VMware will not be migrated to a new machine, only converted to hyper-v and put back on the same box.  So it looks something like this:

Current Scenario:

Vmware box at location A:                                                                                 Physical server at location B:

One physical box with 3 vm's                                                                             No VM's,Currently running physical 2003 server

New Scenario:

VMware box at location A:                                                                                     Physical server at location B:

Keep existing box and drive but convert and migrate all                                       Migrate to new box, convert physical disk

VM's to same drive/box as Hyper-v servers.  Also import backup                  to hyper v, import back copies of hyper-v    of     of  copy server B as failover                                                                                   servers from location A to this as                                                                                                                                 failover.

So can this be done? If so HOW???? SHOULD this be done? If yes why, and if no why?

Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Vanessa Antler,

Have you tried using Disk2vhd?

We know that the difference between the Disk2vhd and MVMC are:

- Disk2vhd is used to virtualize a physical hard disk.

- Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter can help to migrate VMs from VMware vSphere to Hyper-V platform.

But I've used the Disk2vhd to virtualize machines virtuias and everything went well.

Or you can use the Virtual Machine Manager, version for evaluation. How to spot an activity, you can use the trial version.

thank you

Wilsterman Fernandes

• Proposed as answer by Akshay Pate Friday, January 17, 2014 6:34 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:40 PM