Old style file download box for IE 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to download files using the old style download dialog box instead of this new notification bar? We are having problems with a certain intranet within our corporate environment where clicking a certain button to download an invoice, we only see the notification bar briefly for 2 seconds - basically clicking the button opens a new IE 10 window with the download prompt in the notification bar, but this window closes itself in 2 seconds not giving enough time to click "download file". When we had IE 8 we had no such problem as the old style file download box just remained there.

I have noticed if I ever try and download the IEEE copyright form in DOC format from here:

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/rights/copyrightmain.html

It does bring up a different prompt, which looks rather similar to the old style file download prompt. I don't know what is so special about this link, as I have tried to download DOC files from dropbox as well but do not get such a prompt, instead getting the new notification bar style download prompt.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The new notification bar in Internet Explorer 10 will keep in there if you don't do any action.

The old File Download dialog box is only showed in previous Internet Explorer 8. And it's removed in Internet Explorer 9.

Did you try this computer in another network? Did this issue occur for your intranet file download or all files? The download notification is depended on Internet Explorer version rather than different file.

Thus I would like to suggest you try to reset your Internet Explorer for test.

If the issue still persists, roll back to the previous version Internet Explorer to see if the issue appear again.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:34 AM
  • we only see the notification bar briefly for 2 seconds - basically clicking the button opens a new IE 10 window with the download prompt in the notification bar, but this window closes itself in 2 seconds not giving enough time to click "download file"

Try pressing Ctrl-j then.

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/rights/copyrightmain.html

It does bring up a different prompt, which looks rather similar to the old style file download prompt. I don't know what is so special about this link, as I have tried to download DOC files from dropbox as well but do not get such a prompt, instead getting the new notification bar style download prompt.

Thanks for the test case.  This proves that the Notification bar will not just disappear by accidentally pressing Esc; although it will stop showing if you switch tabs.  Also, if you wait instead of immediately trying to do something with it, it changes color.  Alt-N can be used to give it keyboard focus.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:35 PM
    Answerer
  • It looks to me, that it is determined by the MIME-type etc, sent by the page.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:11 AM
  • vs.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:13 AM
  • ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775147.ASPX

Don

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, May 5, 2014 7:01 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:19 AM