Trying to create a user outside of hard disk protection RRS feed

• Question

• I have two drives, C: and F:, and when I create a user in the steady state consol it allows me to set the user location  on the f: drive.  But when I restart (saving the changes) and try and log in with the new user it creates the user profile on the c: drive.  I restart again and the profile folders on the c: drive dissapears but if I try and log in it rebuilds the folders on the c: drive.  In the user properties (in computer management) the Profile path is set for F:\Documents and Settings\rr1!user.orig

How can I get Windows to realize that the user's profile is not on the C: drive?  It knows the user is a valid user, but it cannot find the profile folders on the f: drive.

Any Ideas how I can get Windows to realise the folders exist elsewhere?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:05 AM

Answers

•  wyrmul wrote:
    So basicly as long as I don't lock the profile it will not create the temporary profile on the C drive?  If I don't have the user locked will I still be able to apply the restrictions?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Note: If the user profile has been ever locked, temporary profile folder will be created on the system drive. Even you unlocked it later, temporary profile will still saving changes before logg off. Changes will be to transferred to another partition after log off.

Regards,

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems this is an expected behavior, please refer to the explanation in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2291710&SiteID=69

If anything is unclear, feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:15 AM
  • So basicly as long as I don't lock the profile it will not create the temporary profile on the C drive?  If I don't have the user locked will I still be able to apply the restrictions?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:04 PM
  •  wyrmul wrote:
    So basicly as long as I don't lock the profile it will not create the temporary profile on the C drive?  If I don't have the user locked will I still be able to apply the restrictions?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Note: If the user profile has been ever locked, temporary profile folder will be created on the system drive. Even you unlocked it later, temporary profile will still saving changes before logg off. Changes will be to transferred to another partition after log off.

Regards,

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:21 AM