none
MAPs shared database / many clients RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way of centralising the MAPS database (ie put it on a server) and have the MAPs clients point to it . From what i read the db and client have to be on the machine

Just thinking of scenario where you have a team of people doing the assessments, but makes sense to share the data / reports. Obviously you could put on a server and RDP into it , but not ideal.

Also any plans to have vendors provide files for their hardware for the Virtualisation Modelling bit ? ie you Select the Server type fromt he drop down and it automatically populates the fields for you ... I guess there are a lot of variables even with a single model (say a DL 585 for example).

Again for virtual modelling - what are the plans for the different products - ie SQL Server / Exchange where you would need to drill a bit deeper perf counters wise to make a good assessment of suitability.

Like what I see of the tool so far, looking forward to 3.1 / Hyper-V modelling

cheers,
    Andy.
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:28 AM

Answers

• Andy,

We appreciate your questions and ideas.  Please see the answers below:

1) Centralized Inventory: MAP is a centralized network-wide inventory tool that requires only 1 machine to inventory client machines.  There's no such thing as "MAP clients" because it is agent-less.

2) Host Models for Server Consolidation: You are correct to point out that even a single model of server could still have a lot of variables.  That is why MAP currently gives you the ability to define the host machine with user-input parameters.  We will continue to explore ideas to make this part easier.

3) SQL/Exchange Virtualization: There is a clear need for this as we have heard many times. We will put this to our MAP v.Next feature list or work with the guidance team to determine what is the best solution to offer help on this subject matter.

Thanks for the support on the tool.  Please click here to see how to join the MAP 3.1 Private Beta:
    http://blogs.technet.com/mapblog/archive/2008/05/29/join-the-microsoft-assessment-and-planning-tool-private-beta-with-hyper-v-assessment.aspx

Baldwin Ng (MAP Team)
    BNg
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:07 PM

All replies

• Andy,

We appreciate your questions and ideas.  Please see the answers below:

1) Centralized Inventory: MAP is a centralized network-wide inventory tool that requires only 1 machine to inventory client machines.  There's no such thing as "MAP clients" because it is agent-less.

2) Host Models for Server Consolidation: You are correct to point out that even a single model of server could still have a lot of variables.  That is why MAP currently gives you the ability to define the host machine with user-input parameters.  We will continue to explore ideas to make this part easier.

3) SQL/Exchange Virtualization: There is a clear need for this as we have heard many times. We will put this to our MAP v.Next feature list or work with the guidance team to determine what is the best solution to offer help on this subject matter.

Thanks for the support on the tool.  Please click here to see how to join the MAP 3.1 Private Beta:
    http://blogs.technet.com/mapblog/archive/2008/05/29/join-the-microsoft-assessment-and-planning-tool-private-beta-with-hyper-v-assessment.aspx

Baldwin Ng (MAP Team)
    BNg
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:07 PM
  • THANKS - re Maps clients. I wasn't talking about agents - when I said clients i meant the front end / user interface .

- install MAP
    - run some iventory / reports etc.
    - How does someone else view the results from another machine without RDPing to the MAP server or exporting the files

ie it would be a common scenario for multiple users to access the same MAP database / results from different machines. Seems for this purpose it would be good to have the option to point the MAPs front end at a different SQL server from the MAP Client , as opposed to the current hardcoded (localserver)\MAPS SQL instance

Andy.
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Sorry.  I did not clearly understand your question on the "sharing" concept.

This clearly is a new suggestion and a good one.  Can you help us understand why such usage scenario is key to YOUR business? 

1) What is the difficulty to RDP to the MAP inventory machine? 
    2) Is it enough for the MAP user to share the MAP Excel/Word reports? 
    3) What are the other key reasons to drive this usage scenario?

Thanks Andy.

Baldwin Ng (MAP Team)

BNg
    Monday, June 2, 2008 6:43 AM
  • 1) RDP difficulty - only supports 2 users at once . In a medium to large org this becomes a pain

also not being able to choose where to put SQL is a bit of a pain. (i know about the MAPS instance workaround)
     ie we have a general infrastucture SQL Server we use for things like this, internal Sharepoint site, Backup Exec , etc and so would be the natural place for this db to make it easier from a mangagement point of view

2) Excel Word / bit clunky - 

ideal scenario would be have it published to a sharepoint site and etc. Because i imagine (we've only just started playing with this) you will very quickly end up with a large amount of docs , as you will prob do the eval in chunks / have multiple map runs.

not show stoppers by any means

signed up for the beta but have no confirmation yet - any revised ETA on when i will find out / will kick off

cheers,
    Andy.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 6:31 AM
  • to reply to my own post, had some further thoughts.

In a Data Centre enivronment , the requirement for Word and Excel is a bit of a pain.

ie I don't like installing on a Server where we are running MAPS (non-standard / moving parts / patching etc) which we have to do. Would prefer if it had a small runtime that allowed it to write in Office (or XML)  format and then we access the reports remotely.

Running MAPS on Server as opposed for scalability reasons (and in our case bandwidth as the bandwidth between us and the datacenter isn't that fast)

obviously we could spin a Virtual client in the Datacenter to work round this (although if using MAPS you might not have an Virtualisation servers :-) , but again a pain..

cheers,
    Andy.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Our MAP 3.1 Beta is now available for download, please give it a go!

https://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=2307&InvitationID=MP31-GT76-X98X&SiteID=297

Thank you,
    MAP Team

BNg
    Monday, June 16, 2008 7:01 AM
  • thanks, already installed. Do I post questions / findings / issues here ?
    Monday, June 16, 2008 10:33 PM