none
Messaging vs Orchestration RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

I am new to the EDI world so please excuse any rookie questions I may ask. With that out of the way here is my requirement.

1) Generate a single 810 invoice file based on single flat flat we will receive containing multiple invoices. This file will need to be published to our partner using SFTP.

2) We will also be required to maintain a copy of the 810 file we publish to our local network folder and this file should contain all the headers that are published to the partner.

Here are my questions 

1) Would you suggested messaging only solution or an orchestration ?

2) How do you populate values in the ST02 and SE02 elements ?

3) If you use orchestration do you promote the agreement name to the message context so that correct agreement can be used ?

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:57 PM

All replies

• 1) If all you're doing is transforming the flat file to the EDI format, you can use Messaging only.  Though I do tend to use an Orchestration for everything because it makes accommodating the requirements management forgot about easier.

2) Have you done the BizTAlk EDI tutorials?  :)

3) I always use EDI.DestinationPartyName for Agreement resolution because it does not create a deployment dependency.  Never, ever, add Send Port to the Agreement.  Agreement Resolution and Schema Determination for Outgoing EDI Messages

Double, then triple check the copy requirement, no one ever looks at these.  BizTalk Tracking does everything you need out of the box.  In my experience, custom archiving causes more problems than it solves.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Johns,

Thanks for the response. How are values for ST02 and SE02 usually populated when these segments can occur multiple times in a message ?

Yes to all three questions you have posted and yes we have to archive the outgoing message.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Have you done the EDI Tutorials?  What have you tried?  You need to try some things, then you'll realize you don't need to ask this question.

Then first propose a Tracking solution to archiving, no reason to invite problems for your self.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Yes I have done the tutorial. The tutorial is for receiving edi message and as you can see I am trying to send an edi message where I have to populate the various segments. 

If you do not know an answer its perfectly fine to not reply.

Stop condescending and stop aggravating yourself.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:33 PM
  • No problem at all.  BTW, the tutorial does include sending EDI (997 is an X12 transaction just like any other) and addresses ST/SE question.

I'll disengage from here going forward.  I'm sure someone else can help you out.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 5:10 PM