Looking for documentation on process for updating Office 2010 virtual package RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone come across documentation or something similar to the "prescriptive guide" for running Office updates on an existing Office 2010 Virtual package.  I was finally successful in updating our package, and I documented the process that I used, but it was quite cumbersome due to versioning issues. 

I am also interested in knowing if the Deployment Kit has to be redeployed each time updates are run on an existing Office 2010 package. Although the package GUID remains the same, the version information changes when updates are applied. The Deployment Kit that has been deployed still contains original version information for the package, not the updated version information.

I would really appreciate any input on this and would love to know how people who currently are running Office 2010 as a virtual package with App-V handle Office Updates. 

Monday, December 27, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Office 2010 is not specific in any other way than the deployment kit.

I haven't really thought about, however when it comes to updating a package there are three main ways and depending on which on you choose - it requires different changes to the deployment kit;

1. Active upgrade - no impact

2. Packet branching - new guid / version-number -  deployment kit needs to be removed and reinstalled with new settings

3. New package - new guid / version-number - same as above...

/Znack
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't believe there are any specific steps to update Office 2010 released yet, however the general documentation for updates are here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc843764.aspx

/Znack
    Monday, December 27, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thank you znak.  I found that link and serveral similar ones, but I was hoping for a more detailed, Office 2010 specific process. 

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Hello,

Office 2010 is not specific in any other way than the deployment kit.

I haven't really thought about, however when it comes to updating a package there are three main ways and depending on which on you choose - it requires different changes to the deployment kit;

1. Active upgrade - no impact

2. Packet branching - new guid / version-number -  deployment kit needs to be removed and reinstalled with new settings

3. New package - new guid / version-number - same as above...

/Znack
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:05 AM
  • We chose the active upgrade method and I was worried we would have a problem with the version discrepancy between the updated Office and the version listed in the DK already deployed.   The Microsoft technician I was working with says that the version in the DK is used to update registry keys to match the version of the application in APPV and not the version of the files in the package.  When Office Updates are applied it looks to the registry entries and not to the version in the DK.  So, no worries.  He also said that there is not a guide or KB on the recommended method for updating a virtual Office package, but hopefully a KB will be released in the future.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:32 PM