Looking for Upgrade to Windows 10 version 1703 in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Currently we have Windows 10 version 1607 and would like to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1703.  I looked in WSUS and did not see anything like "Upgrade to Windows 10 version 1703".  I checked the Classification and it has the "Upgrades" box checked; I also checked the Products and verified that Windows 10 is checked as well as Windows 10 and Later Upgrade & Servicing drivers.  I also went back to the declined updates to make sure I did not decline it accidentally and did not see anything there either. 

Am I looking for the wrong update title?   Any help would be appreciated

Thank you, Reezie

Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes I do see the Features Updates. 

Yes this helps!   Thank you -- appreciate your clearing that up. 

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:37 PM

All replies

• Setup a new Update view as follows;

1) "Updates are ina specific classification" = Feautures, Upgrades

2) "Updates are for a specific product" = Windows 10

3) Updates are approved for a specific group (not including inherited approvals) = "your windows 10 computer group name"

Once this view is in place;

Change the approval type and status in the right-hand side of the update view window you just created to see what you have approved or not etc.

You can also do a search at the "All Updates" level for "KB4087256" and see what the approval status of the update is, also make sure that your WSUS server is syncing correctly with the Windows Update site/servers.

• Proposed as answer by Yuxiang Shi Friday, March 2, 2018 7:03 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Thank you for your response

I do not see "Features" listed in the classification area.  I do see "Feature Packs" listed.  How do I get Features added to the Classification?  

Thank you for your help with this. 

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Upgrades can be made to either 1703 or 1709.

For both methods use Windows 10 iso:

1709:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When using the iso open file explorer > find the iso > launch setup or setup.exe > follow the txt and images in this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

The Windows 10 iso are free.

When performing the in place upgrade repair you can perform the upgrade and after a successful in place upgrade you can then update Windows.

For Windows 1703 the Windows 10 iso is available on other websites (non-Microsoft)

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/windows-10-creators-update-1703-iso-download-standard/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, March 2, 2018 10:08 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response.  Sounds like you have to do an in-place upgrade from 1607>1703 manually and then pull the updates from WSUS after that.  I saw some old screen shots:  "Upgrade to Windows 10 version 1511" but it sounds like doing an upgrade through WSUS is not possible. 

It is still not clear to me how to add "Features" to the classification  as you listed above.  I created the new Update view but do not see the Features classification.   Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks Reezie

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:00 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response.  Sounds like you have to do an in-place upgrade from 1607>1703 manually and then pull the updates from WSUS after that.  I saw some old screen shots:  "Upgrade to Windows 10 version 1511" but it sounds like doing an upgrade through WSUS is not possible. 

It is still not clear to me how to add "Features" to the classification  as you listed above.  I created the new Update view but do not see the Features classification.   Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks Reezie

I don't think that is entirely true. The deployment server I set up started with the 1503 release of Windows 10. As I approved each Feature upgrade 1511, 1607, 1703 & 1709, the client machines would download and install the update. You are correct these are in place updates. the only issue I have really had is that these updates can take a while to install so depending on how you have your WSUS server setup it can take a week or 2 for all the updates to install. I have set mine up so that only one feature update is installed at a time and I only approve the next one for install once all the clients are on the same version and have been running it for at least a month.  

Which version of WSUS / Windows Server are you using? See screenshot below of what mine is setup as?

Monday, March 5, 2018 12:44 PM
  • I am using WSUS Version 6.3.9600.18694 on a Windows 2012 R2 and my screenshot looks like yours

So am I correct in that the updates called "Feature Update to Windows 10" are the in place updates? I saw an old TechNet discussion that the updates were called "Upgrade to Windows 10 version 1511".

This threw me off a little and I was looking at the Patch titles and did not see anything like "Upgrade to Windows 10" but this was from a year ago .. so it sounds like they are doing it differently now and maybe this is how they used to do it about a yr ago. 

So I just wanted a sanity check that I am getting the updates that are now called "Feature Update to Windows 10" which include the in place upgrade to the next version. 

Monday, March 5, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Yes they are called "Feature Update to Windows 10 (home/pro/enterprise) Version xxxx"

Does the update exist on your server? Do a search for KB4087256, by right-clicking on "All Updates" and then Click on "Search". Type KB4087256 then hit search. Select the applicable version and run the status report to see the status of the update.

Also have you checked to see if all your Windows 10 clients are running 1607?

Hope that helps!

Monday, March 5, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Hello,

Yes I do see the Features Updates. 

Yes this helps!   Thank you -- appreciate your clearing that up. 

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:37 PM