none
Reinstalling a DPM instance that is connected to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to completely wipe my primary DPM server to reconfigure the RAID arrays connected. I'm familiar with the process to do this, with the exception of how it will interact with the Azure backups.

We currently employ Azure as our long-term offsite backup strategy, and would really-really-really-really love it if we can avoid re-seeding the backups.

If I reinstall DPM and reconnect it to Azure, will this "just work"? Do I need to have the protection groups configured exactly the same (name, retention period) or can they be altered? Should I be restoring the DPM database, regardless of the fact that I'm not maintaining the local recovery point data?

Thanks,

Nick

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you need use the same machine name, install same DPM version+Update_Rollup then restore the DPMDB if you want to maintain the Azure backups.  You need to run DPMSync -Sync to get the agents communicating again.   You must register to the same backup vault and use the same passphrase as the original DPM Server.  At that time, the recovery points in azure should be restorable.    If you are not maintaining the original DPM Storage pool disks, then after adding new disks to the storage pool you need to run DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA so new replica volumes get created. After running consistency checks, new recovery points can be made.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:04 PM