Vista Ultimate PAE ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am running Ultimate on an HP xw6000 Workstation with 2 x 3.066Ghz Xeons and 8GB of ram.  I have tried user a privledged cmd prompt and issuing BCDEDIT /set PAE ForceEnable and Vista is still reporting 3.455MB of Ram.  Any ideas?

Machine has Intel i7505 chipset and should support PAE properly.

Thx for any feedback.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 11:49 PM

All replies

•  

d1c1ple:

Hi!

I understand your post like this, you set 8GB ram into your HP xw6000 Workstation and get only 3.455MB of RAM shown. Thus, you want to know why. Am I misunderstanding your problem? go on with feedbacks to correct me.

There are some information you didn't offer clearly:

• Did you get all the 8GB RAM originally or add new memory banks recently before the problem occurred?
    • What method did you use to show the memory? Via command-line or BIOS?
    • If you really added some RAM, how much RAM did your computer show before that? Still, what method did you choose to show them? command-line or BIOS?

Wait for your feedback to answer my questions, which are really important for me to deal with your problem.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:52 AM
  • Hello,

The system has had 8GB in it for quite some time; and was previously running various 32bit Linux distros and , VMware ESX 2.5.x / 3.x.x, etc and properly seeing all the memory without issue. The Bios reports 8GB during system post and  3rd party tools like cpuz, pcwizard running on Vista also report 8GB of memory; yet system properties only shows 3.455GB of RAM??
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

I read your feedback and check this issue for you. There are more than one possibility that cause this problem.

1.  32-bit operating system can only report part of your physical memory though BIOS can correctly do that. This problem occurs because the address space is limited to 4 GB in a 32-bit hardware environment. If you are using Windows Vista x64 or successfully add PAE to your BCD file via "BCDEDIT /SET PAE ForceEnable", the problem should be fixed.

Note: The command-line used to add PAE to BCD file is not successful unless prompted "The operation completed successfully.
    2.  Based on my research, this is expected behaviors on some model of servers. For example, on some Compaq (HP) computer, less than the amount of installed physical RAM will be displayed in the operating system. For example, features related to the configuration of PCI Hot Plug devices can reduce the amount of physical memory available for the OS and customer applications by approximately 0.5 to 1GB.

To confirm this case, I suggest you to call HP service center to check this is related to some other special features of this computer model.

Hope this helps.

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:14 AM