Concurrent session and session takeover RRS feed

• Question

• Question 1

If I have 2 groups of users - A & B.  Each group has 6 users.  But I want to allow only 4 concurrent login from group A and 3 from group B.  Is it possible and how?

Question2

If user A and user B are sharing the same login ID.  When A is logged in and B is trying to login. Can we deny B from taking over A's remote session?

Many Thanks

William

• Edited by william173 Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:42 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi William,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

We can perform the concurrent session as per your group wise by enabling 4 and 3 user. We can do this with help of group policy (Limit Number of Connections) as need to apply that policy as per different group.  Here you can specify he connection which can will get through RDSH server. 

For another question, when you need to restrict the other user to login with same ID. I suggest to try option “Restrict Users to single session” under RDSH configuration wizard. In addition we try group policy setting for this. You can find group policy “Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single remote session “under below path.

Both this above group policy setting found as per following.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Connections

More information.
    Connections
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791922(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 20, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Hi Solanki,

Thanks for your reply.  I followed and tested your suggestions.  Here are my findings.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

"Limit Number of Connections" - is used to control the concurrent connection per RD server.  The policy should be applied to computer.  What I need is to give different number of concurrent limits to different user groups. 

"Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single remote session" - it limits the number of concurrent session a single user can make.  But I want is - When user A created a RD session and login as "Finance".  She starts to input data.  Her colleague, user B, does not know user A is on the RD and tries to connect RD session and login as "Finance" too.  (Because "Finance" is a shared account to the Finance team.)  Now the result is User B takes over user A's RD session while user A was in the middle of her work.  How can I not allow this to happened?

Please advise if there other options or the correct way of setting.

Thanks

William

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:11 AM