Junction Points RRS feed

• Question

• I'll try to make a short story out of probably a common scenario...

I have a win7 pc in which I just installed a solid state drive, and for obvious reasons(Storage capacity constraints), I have succeeded in junctioning

the my "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files(x86)" folders by the following procedure:

1.) fresh install

2.) copy contents of those folders after install to temporary folders

3.) delete original folders

4.) create identically named (C:\program files & C:\program files(x86) ) folders

5.) using mmc---> Disk management---> Mounting a seperate partition(500gb each) to each of those folders.

6.) re-copy original contents to target point

This all works perfectly.

The end result is that I now have Junctioned those folders to partitions that have not been assigned a drive letter, therefore those partitions do not show up in "My Computer".

So have done something similar with my user account profile

Copied all my files(including hidden, system, etc..) 

then I used the MKLINK command to create a junction.

This all works perfectly, I can log into my account, and I verify that if I create a new file, it actually gets stored on the other drive.

The only difference is that the junction was made with the following Command line

mklink /J C:\users\paul Z:\paul

But now I want to use disk management to remove that drive letter.

This is a screenshot of the DIR listing showing the junction listing for the "Program Files directories"

Now a screenshot for the DIR listing showing the junction of my user profile:

See how there is a drive letter in the junction for my user profile? How do I create a junction that does not have a drive letter, so I can hide that drive, and make it only accessible through the junctioned path(C:\users\paul)???

Thanks for any help

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

• Edited by Paul Ishak Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:08 AM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Thank you Vincent

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi ,

Have you tried to remove the Drive letter and use mount point path instead? You can also try to use a roaming profile stored on other volumes for test.

More information:

How to create and manipulate NTFS junction points

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(v=WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi ,

Have you tried to remove the Drive letter and use mount point path instead? You can also try to use a roaming profile stored on other volumes for test.

More information:

How to create and manipulate NTFS junction points

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(v=WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks Aaron for your response, I will check this out and let you know how it turns out. :)

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Hi ,

Any updates? Thanks.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:27 AM
  • Hi ,

Any updates? Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for your response, and unfortunately no.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:29 AM