none
MDT offline media drive letter changes causing TS failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My MDT task sequence is failing to deploy. It's using offline deployment media. I have a Run Command-line step which copies a file from the deployment media USB drive to the C:, and it commonly fails, though not always:

cmd /c "xcopy /F /Y "%DeployRoot%\Files\icon.ico" "C:\Users\Public\Pictures\""

When troubleshooting, I added a pause to the TS and got the task sequence variables in order to check if the drive letter matches up. Sure enough:

DEPLOYROOT = E:\Deploy

But the drive letter in File Explorer is showing as D: !

My MDT is version 6.3.8450.1000.

Any ideas?

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:55 PM

All replies

• I don't have an answer. Just some questions that might help in troubleshooting.

1. Are you using a usb flash drive or an external hdd/ssd as the offline media?

2. Are you doing something that would cause the drive letter to change like inserting/removing a second usb drive?

3. When you check the value of %DEPLOYROOT%, can you also check the value of %SCRIPTROOT%

4. In what section of the task sequence is the Command-line step located? Does it make a difference if you move the Command-line step towards the end of the task sequence?

5. Does the deployment always succeed if you disable the Command-line step in question?

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:58 PM