Less options when on server RRS feed

• Question

• HI all,

The farm administrator who can access central administration website is getting less options when logged into the server when compared to options shown when connecting using the url? I have checked the IE settings and they are same. Any suggestions why so, please?

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Run central admin by right click and run as administrator.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Shaffana Monday, September 3, 2012 1:10 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:08 AM

All replies

• This is probably due to how the browser is configured on the server. I would bet that Silverlight is not installed, which will lead to some functionality being displayed differently or not available. The other big influence is going to be how Javascript is enabled or blocked in the browser, there are some security lockdown protocols that I've seen some customers implement that really hamstring the Central Admin site in IE and affect what I can do from the website when I'm opening it from a SharePoint server (the worst one was when Javascript was pretty much completely turned off, which broke the scroll bar in SharePoint 2010).

If you weren't the one who configured the browser security settings on your servers, you should probably discuss the situation with them to find out what settings they changed from a default Windows server install and if you can undo those changes. If not, you'll just have to access it from a workstation.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I am not able to get my head around this, if silverlight is not installed, how come there are lesser options? the screen shot's below explains my problem a bit more:

When accesed from network

When accessed on Server:

Is it a permisssion issue on the server??

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

Run central admin by right click and run as administrator.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Shaffana Monday, September 3, 2012 1:10 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:08 AM