Restoring replicas from external HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm new to DPM but I have been given the task of configuring backups for the small company I work for. Please forgive my limited knowledge!

Basically I have a server running Server 2008 R2 Standard with DPM 2010 installed.

I have a 500GB SATA drive connected internally which I use for the Storage Pool. I didn't format the drive at all, I just left DPM to turn it into a dynamic disk when I added it under the Managment > Disks tab in the Admin consol. I obviously cannot see the drive in windows explorer but I can see all the replica volumes in 'disk management' in the computer management panel.

I now need to replace this 500GB disk with a 2TB SATA drive because we need more things protecting. We don't have any other backup software apart from Windows server backup which comes with server 2008 and we don't have a second DPM server. What is the best way for me to backup the replicas from the 500GB drive to an external USB HDD, swap the 500GB drive with the 2TB drive and then get the replicas onto the 2TB drive from the external USB HDD?

Sorry for asking what is essentially a pretty simple question but I've checked technet over and over again and can't find anything which explains each step to me.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:33 AM

Answers