Exchange server Icons in server container RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks, Is anybody aware of the below server icon means in exchange 2007 server configurations container ?? as the version are different but when i checked on the edge servers both are with version 8.3 (build 8.3) only so 

1. why it is not showing the correct version here and what does that server icon means (suspecting due to the version only or std edition)

2. what can be done to show the updated version. 

3. Or this is due that Edge is with std edition so it's showing like that ?

Friday, December 2, 2011 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't believe that this should cause you any issues.

Leif

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 19, 2011 10:03 AM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:13 AM
  • You want to make sure that the Exchange server version information is synchronized after you upgrade an Exchange server to a more recent build. In this case, the Edge Transport server build version number is not replicated to other server roles. This is because the EdgeSync synchronization process provides a one-way replication of data from Active Directory to AD Lightweight Directory Services. For more information, see the "Microsoft Exchange EdgeSync Service" section of the Understanding the EdgeSync Synchronization Process topic.

Taken from: Understanding Edge Subscriptions

For me personally, I think it's a good practive to recreate the EdgeSync after every major update (like a Service Pack). If nothing else just to provide me with the correct Build Number. The number of subscriptions to recreate isn't that many after all so it's a small effort to have your environment show correct and up2date information.

Jesper Bernle | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Awardee
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

My guess would be that this is caused by the fact that you don't have access to the servers from the console (I assume that they are in a DMZ).

The version number is then from the time where you created the edgesync and the icon is just saying that there is no connection.

Leif

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Yes , the servers in DMZ only ...but i have other edge server in US region they does not show that ICON (Mark on Edge servers) but yes version on that is still the same.... So is that ok correct , i hope that are not going to make any issues as still have not face any thing ... any idea..?
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

I don't believe that this should cause you any issues.

Leif

Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:13 AM
  • You want to make sure that the Exchange server version information is synchronized after you upgrade an Exchange server to a more recent build. In this case, the Edge Transport server build version number is not replicated to other server roles. This is because the EdgeSync synchronization process provides a one-way replication of data from Active Directory to AD Lightweight Directory Services. For more information, see the "Microsoft Exchange EdgeSync Service" section of the Understanding the EdgeSync Synchronization Process topic.

Taken from: Understanding Edge Subscriptions

For me personally, I think it's a good practive to recreate the EdgeSync after every major update (like a Service Pack). If nothing else just to provide me with the correct Build Number. The number of subscriptions to recreate isn't that many after all so it's a small effort to have your environment show correct and up2date information.

Jesper Bernle | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Awardee
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:46 PM