Error when creating Delegate for mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I have Exchange 2010 SP1 and the client is Outlook 2010.

When I try to create a delegate for a mailbox I get the error below.  When adding the delegate I select the checkbox that states: Delegate recieves copies of meeting related messages sent to me, but that generates the error and will not set.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Kanien,
    Have you tried starting Outlook with the switch /cleanrules ?

If that doesn't help, I think you should use MFCMapi to delete the rules that seems to be there.

Martina Miskovic
    • Edited by Martina_Miskovic Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AllBarOne Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Does this user have a lot of rules?
    If so, then see if it helps to raise the RuleQuota for that mailbox.

Example:
    Set-Mailbox MAILBOX -RulesQuota 128KB
    Martina Miskovic
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Martina - No, that is the exact thing!  I cannot see any rules when opening the mailbox with Exchange EMC, Outlook, or OWA.  What I do notice is that there is a warning at the bottom stating that there are rules or alerts created that are not visible, which makes me think they could have been created with EWS, but I don't know how to get those.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi Kanien,

This message occurs if you select the "None" permission for the calendar when creating the delegate and setting the permissions for mailbox folders. Please ensure you have granted the delegate suitable permissions to the mailbox owners calendar.

If the above does not help read on...

How many delegates have been added to this mailbox? While there is no set limit you will run into these types of problems if you have more than a handful.

If you don’t have an over abundance of delegates verify how many rules you have setup, as the error stipulates it's possible that a high number of rules on this mailbox causes this issue. I suggest this because each time you add a delegate some rules are automatically created, if too many rules already exist the creation of new rules will fail and in turn so will the addition of the delegate.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:22 PM
  • AllBarOne - Here is a picture of the permissions I'm selecting when I add the delegate.  You can see that it unchecks the "Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me" after I try to add it due to the rule error.  There are currently no other delegates and no rules visible.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Even when I remove the Delegate I get the same "Cannot forward meeting related messages" error.
  • Hi Kanien,
    Have you tried starting Outlook with the switch /cleanrules ?

If that doesn't help, I think you should use MFCMapi to delete the rules that seems to be there.

Martina Miskovic
    • Edited by Martina_Miskovic Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AllBarOne Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:37 AM
  • The /cleanrules worked!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:35 PM
  • That was good news!
    Thanks for the update.
    Martina Miskovic
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:36 PM